Lovett breakout propels Brahmas to victory

Brahmas keeps Renegades winless in UFL
Rylan Renteria

The San Antonio Brahmas continued their on-field success with the emergence of the running game in a 25-15 victory over the Arlington Renegades Saturday night at Choctaw Stadium. 

“The running game was really key for us, Ellison and Lovett both had big games,” coach Wade Phillips said. “Anytime you win by 10 points in this league, it is a big victory.” 

On their opening drive, the Brahmas (4-1) secured their first points off a 43-yard field goal by kicker Ryan Santoso. On their following drive, quarterback Quinten Dormady found tight end Alizé Mack for a 24-yard passing touchdown bringing the Brahmas an early 9-0 lead. 

Pounding on the Brahmas’ endzone, defense held the Renegades (0-5) for a 29-yard field goal by kicker Jonathan Garibay. For their second straight drive, the Brahmas found the endzone. Running back John Lovett on the 1-yard rushing touchdown brought the Brahmas mounding lead to 15-3. 

“I was surprised [Arlington] deferred the ball first,” Phillips said. “I believe if you get the ball first, because you don’t have the ball many times in this league, you can get a chance to get on top early.” 

In the red zone, Arlington decided to go for it on fourth down but the Brahmas defense held firm, preventing the Renegades from converting. The Brahmas offense was unable to capitalize on the fourth down stop. Arlington finally found the endzone late in the second quarter. Quarterback Luis Perez connected with receiver JaVonta Payton for a huge 52-yard touchdown bringing Arlington’s deficit to 15-9. 

Lined up for their second field goal of the night, the Renegades’ kick was blocked by safety A.J. Hendy. San Antonio was unable to cash in on the blocked field goal with Santoso missing his 45-yard attempt to close the half.  

The Renegades opened the second half with Garibay knocking his second field goal of the night closing in on Alrington’s deficit. Dormady started the half throwing his second interception of the night. After another field goal, the Renegades tied the game 15-15 late in the third quarter. 

Lovett captured his second touchdown of the night on another 1-yard score giving the Brahmas the lead, 22-15 after the successful one point PAT. Santoso regrouped on his next attempt, knocking down a 32-yard field goal to expand San Antonio’s lead late in the final quarter. Dormady threw his third and final interception of the night but a fumble recovery by safety Jordan Mosley would seal the Brahmas second straight victory. 

“It is kinda hard not to thrive with an offensive line that is as good as we have,” Lovett said. “It’s hard not to have 95 yards.” 

Lovett had his coming out game of the season, ending his night with 95 yards on 13 carries for two touchdowns. Ellison finished the night with 84 yards on seven carries. Defense had another good game, ending with two sacks and a single fumble recovery along with holding Alrington to just one touchdown the entire night.   

“Our defense played a really solid game,” Phillps said. “They did a good job keeping [Arlington] out of the endzone late in the ball game.”