Over 3,000 students, faculty, staff have been tested for COVID-19, only 22 test positive with direct campus impact

Josh Peck, News Editor

2,182 students and 1,055 faculty and staff have been tested for COVID-19 since the start of the fall semester as of Oct. 7. Of those, 21 students and one faculty or staff member have reported positive COVID-19 tests to the university that have a direct campus impact, according to the university’s coronavirus dashboard. UTSA only reports cumulative cases and does not differentiate between active and inactive cases.

This data represents testing that took place both on and off campus, and the university does not track testing at on- or off-campus locations separately, according to a university spokesperson. Positive cases represent direct campus impact if the individual tested positive for COVID-19 or had an onset of symptoms within two days of being on campus.

The university’s residential proactive testing program had administered 156 tests as of Oct. 6. The voluntary program has been in place since Sept. 14 and targets asymptomatic students living in university-owned housing at Laurel Village and Chaparral Village. The program now allows students to be tested more than once, so it’s possible that some of the 156 tests are repeats. However, in the best case scenario for the number of individual students who have been tested, 156 students represent 15% of the 1,027 residents in university-owned housing. The university does not separately report residents’ test results, so it is unclear how many of those 156 tests came back with positive results. However, eight residents are currently in isolation or quarantine as of Oct. 8, according to the COVID-19 dashboard, meaning they have either tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who did.