Annual Diploma Dash to be Held Virtually

Bella Nieto, News Editor

The annual UTSA Alumni Association’s Diploma Dash – an event that in the past featured groups of families, friends and teams competing for prizes and awards – will be held virtually this year with all proceeds going towards scholarships for current students. Although Diploma Dash will look different than it has in years past, events will still include the 5K, 1K fun run, 25K bike ride and a 69K challenge that will last a full month. 

Starting on February 27th, participants will have until March 27th to complete their chosen event. To keep track of their progress, participants download the app JustMove to track their race time which is then submitted to the event’s organizers. “The app makes it very easy to set up your own teams, so departments, student organizations and alumni groups can join together to make this even more fun,” said Steve Woodall, association interim director. 

To participate in this year’s virtual Diploma Dash, register by making a minimum donation, or fundraising $35. What once started at the Convocation Center and went all through UTSA’s Main Campus has evolved to  participants choosing any location and walking, running, or biking while the app tracks the distance and pace. Once the race is completed and the data from JustMove is compiled, runners will get to see where they fell on the leaderboard compared to other race participants. To register and receive more information, visit the UTSA Alumni Association Diploma Dash page.

For individuals who are unable to participate in the racing events, but still want to participate in the festivities from the comfort of their home the virtual option allows for sponsorships of race participants, donating to them as they complete their events. Of course, donations to the cause are welcome as well. 

This year the UTSA Alumni Association awarded $150,000 in scholarships, selecting top students who need financial assistance.  “Supporting scholarships for incoming and current UTSA undergraduate and graduate students has been the purpose of Diploma Dash from the very beginning,” Woodall said. 

Longtime runner and sophomore at UTSA, Logan Murphy is still participating in the event despite the new format. “I think it is still a fun thing to do and a good way to fundraise,” Murphy said. “I genuinely love being outside and it gives me a good excuse to visit San Antonio’s trials and do it with my fellow UTSA students!”