UTSA AD announces Kristen Holt will not return as head coach of women’s basketball

Ryder Martin, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, March 16, the UTSA Athletic Department announced that head women’s basketball coach Kristen Holt would not have her contract renewed and the university would begin the process of searching for her successor. 

“I want to thank Kristen for her hard work and dedication to the women’s basketball program and tireless commitment to the student-athletes during her tenure,” UTSA Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Lisa Campos said in a prepared statement.

The decision by UTSA may not come as much of a surprise to people who followed the Roadrunners this season. The ‘Runners slumped to a 2-18 overall record and went 0-14 in Conference USA (C-USA) play. Despite their winless record, the ‘Runners qualified for the conference tournament due to a rule change by C-USA that ensured all 14 C-USA programs qualified, rather than the traditional 12. 

The end of Holt’s tenure means that UTSA will embark on a coaching search for the 10th women’s basketball head coach in the program’s history. This announcement brings an end to Holt’s time as the head coach after four seasons at the helm. Holt compiled a lifetime record of just 24-83 overall and went 10-54 in C-USA play. Holt had been with the UTSA program for seven seasons, previously serving as the team’s associate head coach for three years under former head coach Lubomyr Lichonczak. 

In setting expectations for the next head coach, Dr. Campos was very clear that the university would not just consider in-house candidates and instead cast a wide net in their search. “We are committed to positioning the program for future success within Conference USA and nationally, and we will immediately conduct a national search for our next head women’s basketball coach.” 

While no other indication was given on what direction or types of candidates the program will pursue, it is clear that the next head coach for the program will have quite a task on their hands rebuilding a program that has sunk to the bottom of the C-USA standings.