Student Government Association ushers in new administration

Eddie Sanchez

The students of UTSA have elected their next student body president and vice president along with several other positions in the Student Government Association. Voting began the first week of March and resulted in a victory that was a landslide. Via RowdyLink students cast 531 votes out of 31,677 of the eligible student voting population. 

In the election for president, Jose Escobedo received 60.64% of the vote, for a total of 322 votes, finishing ahead of his opponent Bennet Rosin who gathered 37.66% of the vote. Jose’s choice for vice president, Jasmin Puquet-Ford, also secured victory with 57.62% of the vote, her opponent was defeated with only 41.24% of the vote. 

Newly elected Student Government Association President Jose Escobedo stated, “I am most excited to have opportunities to meet students on campus safely, that’s the president’s bread and butter, and it’s been tough to do it online. ”

Jose is a junior political science major and sat as the vice president for the former Edwards administration. He has been involved with the organization since his freshman year, starting as a senator and working his way up to executive position. 

In an interesting and unprecedented transition, Jose Escobedo, who was formerly vice president, swore in his running mate Jasmin Paquet-Ford. Following the swearing in, Paquet-Ford then swore in Escodeo and ushered in the new administration.

“The humor, the community, the companionship, working with a big team of incredibly diverse, hard-working individuals with varying backgrounds and passions all working for the same goal is what I am most excited about, “ said the newly elected vice president Jasmin Paquet-Ford. “I can’t wait to work with Jose, Shaca, Patrick, Bella and the rest of the team. It’s going to be really exciting and productive.” 

Also a part of the Escobedo administration are secretary Shaca Sweet and treasurer Patrick Lebherz, who both ran in  uncontested races. In the only competitive senator race the College of Business confirmed Farah Harmed, Aaron Limuel, Demetri G. Sanchez, Daniel Pacora and Maria Viramontes as its newest senators. 

“As the Student Body Secretary I am most looking forward to being very much involved within the student body,” Shaca Sweet said. “Also, I am looking forward to carrying out the initiatives I am currently working on and soon to come across. My goal (s) for this year is to ensure that in any and everything that is put forward is done with transparency, inclusivity , and diversity. Go Runners!”

This story was corrected and updated on April 13, 2021.