Early voting for constitutional amendments commences at HEB Student Union

The H-E-B Student Union is the only voting location on campus. Bella Nieto/The Paisano

Bella Nieto, News Editor

​​​​UTSA is a designated early voting and Election Day voting location for Texas’ November elections. Registered voters can cast their ballots on the Main Campus in the H-E-B Student Union ballrooms. For voters in the Downtown area, votes can be cast at the Bexar County Elections Department on 1103 S. Frio St. Early voting begins Oct. 18 and will run until Oct. 29. Election Day is Nov. 2. 

On the ballot this month are potential changes to the state’s constitution ranging from religious services, eligibility for judges and infrastructure. Passed as bills during the legislative session, a majority of voters in the state must vote yes on each amendment before the state Constitution can be altered. 

The first proposed amendment is Proposition 1, which would allow charitable raffles at rodeo events; previously unapproved raffles were considered illegal gambling under existing law. 

Proposition 2 would allow counties to issue bonds to raise funds for transportation infrastructure in underdeveloped sections of the state. The way counties would repay bonds is through pledging increased property tax revenues, with the provision that such funds cannot be used for construction, maintenance or acquisitions of toll roads.

Another amendment, Proposition 3, would ban the state from prohibiting religious services. The intent behind the amendment stems from issues over churches that were required to be closed during the pandemic. Local officials placed stay-at-home orders to places of worship, a move that Texas Republicans opposed. 

The fourth amendment, Proposition 4, would require candidates to have 10 years of experience practicing law in the state to be eligible for election to the Texas Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeals or a Texas Court of Appeals. In addition, candidates running for a district judge position would require eight years of law practice in a Texas court. 

Proposition 5 would allow the State Commission on Judicial Conduct to have oversight of candidates running for judicial seats by vetting complaints and conducting investigations.

An amendment regarding essential caregivers, Proposition 6 would allow nursing home residents and assisted living facilities to designate one essential caregiver who cannot be denied in-person visitation rights. Similar to Proposition 3, the amendment stems from pandemic era visitation restrictions that stopped residents from family and friend visitation. 

The next amendment, Proposition 7, would place a cap on school district property taxes incurred by the surviving spouse of a person with disabilities older than 65. The living spouse had to be 55 years old at the time of their partner’s death and still in the home.  

Finally, Proposition 8 would expand eligibility for residential homestead tax exemptions to also include spouses of military who were killed or fatally injured in the line of duty. Current law only extends exemption to spouses of military members killed in action. 

Gov. Greg Abbott also announced that Nov. 2 will be the special election runoff to replace former state Rep. Lep Pacheco, a San Antonio House District 118 seat. On the ballot is Democrat Frank Ramirez and Republican John Lujan. 

Upon voting day, individuals can make notes on a sample ballot to bring into polling locations. Voters must also bring a valid form of ID to be allowed to cast their ballot.