UTSA volleyball concludes season, Neugebauer-Groff steps down

Laura Neugebauer-Groff has called time on a distinguished career as the head coach of the Roadrunners. Prior to her time at UTSA, Neugebauer-Groff spent eight seasons as the head coach at St. Mary’s, three years at Hondo High School and three years as an assistant coach at Texas A&M. Photo courtesy of UTSA Athletics

Ryder Martin, Sports Editor

On Monday, Nov. 8, UTSA Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Lisa Campos announced that head volleyball coach Laura Neugebauer-Groff had stepped down from her position effective immediately. Neugebauer-Groff had served in the role for 20 years and compiled a career record of 339-260 at UTSA.

Campos thanked Groff for her time with the program in a released statement. 

Coach Neugebauer-Groff has impacted hundreds of UTSA student-athletes over the years in her role leading the volleyball program…A San Antonio Sports Hall of Famer, she will always be a part of UTSA Athletics and we wish her the very best moving forward. We will begin a national search for a new head coach immediately,” Campos said.

Neugebauer-Groff expressed her thanks and her appreciation to the program.

“It has been an honor to serve as head volleyball coach at UTSA for the past 20 years…I have been able to do what I truly love by providing opportunities for student athletes to succeed on and off the court. It’s been a joy to coach the Roadrunners and I have made so many fond memories and lasting relationships through the years. I wish nothing but the best for the program and the department moving forward,” Neugebauer-Groff said.

Neugebauer-Groff led the ‘Runners to a Southland Conference Tournament championship, two Conference USA regular season titles and a 2013 Conference USA Tournament championship. Neugebauer-Groff also coached the team to two appearances in the NCAA postseason.

The ‘Runners has suffered a downturn in form the past two seasons as they went a combined 15-27.

The UTSA Roadrunners volleyball team (8-16, 5-7 C-USA) concluded their season this weekend by suffering a two-match sweep on the road to the Rice Owls (17-5, 12-0 C-USA). The ‘Runners dropped both games by a score of 0-3 and were not competitive in either match. 

Laura Neugebauer-Groff has called time on a distinguished career as the head coach of the Roadrunners. Prior to her time at UTSA, Neugebauer-Groff spent eight seasons as the head coach at St. Mary’s, three years at Hondo High School and three years as an assistant coach at Texas A&M. Photo courtesy of Jeff Huehn/UTSA Athletics