Former Bexar County judge takes up non-faculty role at UTSA

Gauri Raje, News Editor

Earlier this month, UTSA announced that former Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff will be joining the university in a non-faculty role. The university announced the appointment in an official statement on UTSA Today.

Furthering a commitment to public service and engaging students in the ideals of citizen government, former Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff will bring his 50 years of political involvement to The University of Texas at San Antonio community, beginning this spring,” the announcement reads.

Wolff, who was appointed to the office of Bexar County Judge in 2001 after then Judge Cyndi Taylor Krier resigned to accept an appointment as a regent of the University of Texas System, went on to serve five full terms in the office.

Prior to serving as County Judge, Wolff represented Bexar County in the Texas House of Representatives from 1971 to 1973, and the Texas Senate from 1973 to 1975. Wolff also served as a member of the San Antonio City Council from 1987 to 1991, and as the mayor of San Antonio from 1991 to 1995. 

Wolff explained that it was during his time in the Texas State legislature that his connection with UTSA first began.

I was able to get a lot of funding for UTSA early on, so I followed their development right from the very start, and I’ve been supportive of them,” Wolff said.

Wolff announced his retirement from elected office last year and began considering other options, including the non-faculty position at UTSA.

“I didn’t know what I was going to do when I first announced I wasn’t going to run again, and so, there were a lot of options, a lot of ways to do it, but I felt this was the best use of my time,” Wolff said. “What remaining years I have left, I felt this was the best way to spend them. To be of some use and benefit to future generations.”

In his new non-faculty role, Wolff will be giving lectures and talks to students at UTSA, drawing on his experience with public work and his business career. Some of the areas that Wolff hopes to share his knowledge in with students include public policy, business, political science and public health. Furthermore, Wolff explained that the subject matter of his lectures and talks will vary depending on what different professors would want him to cover. 

Along with his position at UTSA, Wolff was also appointed to a professorship at St. Mary’s University, his alma mater.

“I hope to be able to inspire students to really become involved in their communities, whether it’s in private life or whether it’s in public office or whatever and to play a positive role,” Wolff said.