UT System ceases new diversity, equity and inclusion policies across its campuses

Mason Hickok

Student gathered in the Sombrilla Plaza.

Mason Hickok, Editor-in-Chief

The University of Texas (UT) System Board of Regents has ceased all new diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) policies across its campuses. Additionally, the Board of Regents has asked for a report of all existing DEI policies from school leaders. 

Kevin P. Eltife, the chairman of the Board of Regents, made the announcement last Wednesday, as reported by the Austin American-Statesman. The action comes while Republican lawmakers criticize DEI initiatives in higher education as affecting university hiring processes.

The Vice President of UTSA’s Office of Inclusive Excellence is Myron Anderson. The Paisano worked to set up an interview with Anderson with the help of the University Relations to discuss diversity in hiring practices. Joe Izbrand, the chief communications officer who handles the media, said that Anderson could not meet and that he “has very limited time on his calendar right now because of the projects he’s working on.” Instead, Izbrand commented on UTSA’s hiring. 

UTSA’s hiring practices are consistent with state and federal employment and non-discrimination laws,” Izbrand said. “We will continue to fulfill our legal obligations while working to bring the brightest academic and research minds to UTSA to advance social mobility and economic prosperity for our students and our community.”

The Paisano previously reported on the faculty senate discussing academic freedom and tenure concerns. In their session, UTSA’s approach to what will occur in the Texas Legislature was described as being “thoughtful and deliberate.” 

While it remains to be seen how the directive from the UT System will affect UTSA’s existing policies around DEI, The Paisano again wanted to try and speak to Anderson for this story. Izbrand told us that Anderson’s availability remains unchanged.