10 dorm-friendly meals that are not instant ramen

Chloe Williams, Web and Social Editor

It is no secret that dining hall food is no one’s favorite, and food options across campus can be limited. Even campus meal deals are expensive for the food quantity. Follow along as we highlight 10 cheap and easy meal options you can make in your dorm or apartment with just a microwave. Pricing and ingredients are taken from Walmart. Meal prices listed are not including optional items. 

1. English muffin or naan pizza — $0.76 per serving 

Ingredients: English muffins ($1.48 for six) or mini naan ($3 for four), pizza sauce ($1.42 for 14 ounces) and mozzarella cheese ($2.22 for eight ounces). Optional ingredients: pepperoni ($2.58 for six ounces), olives ($3.34 for 6.35 ounces) and minced garlic ($2.97 for eight ounces).

To cook: Assemble and microwave for 30 to 40 seconds or until the cheese is melted. 

2. Cheese quesadilla — $0.48 per serving

Ingredients: Flour tortillas ($1.98 for 20), shredded cheese ($2.22 for eight ounces) and sauce of your choice. Optional ingredients: Sour cream ($1.16 for eight ounces) and salsa ($2.24 for 24 ounces).

To cook: Microwave for 30 to 40 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Dip in your sauce of choice.

3. Microwave spaghetti and meatballs — $0.57 per serving

Ingredients: Spaghetti pasta ($0.98 for 16 ounces), tomato sauce ($1.48 for 24 ounces), frozen meatballs ($6.24 for about 11 servings) and any toppings or seasonings you want. 

To cook: Place pasta in a bowl, cover it with water and cook in the microwave for the time allotted on the box plus three minutes or until pasta reaches the desired cook. Cook meatballs for the time listed and combine them with sauce, noodles and seasonings. 

4. Orange chicken and rice — $2.47 per serving

Ingredients: Frozen orange chicken ($6.48 for three servings) and instant rice ($2.44 for eight servings).

To cook: Cook items according to packaging directions and combine them. 

5. Gooey chocolate mug cake — $0.37 per serving

Ingredients: Egg ($2.63 for 12), cocoa powder ($4.44 for eight ounces) and powdered sugar ($1.84 for 32 ounces).

To cook: Combine one egg, two tablespoons of cocoa powder and ¼ cup of powdered sugar. Microwave for 50 to 60 seconds. 

6. Mug omelet — $0.74 per serving

Ingredients: Eggs ($2.63 for 12), milk ($1.94 for 64 ounces) and shredded cheese ($2.22 for eight ounces). Optional ingredients: Bell peppers ($0.62 each), green onions ($0.48 for a bunch), bacon bits ($1.70 for 2.5 ounces) and seasonings. 

To cook: Crack two eggs into a mug of choice, add one tablespoon of milk and beat with a fork. Add cheese and optional items of choosing, top with seasonings and stir with a fork until combined. Microwave for three sets of 30 seconds, stirring between each set. 

7. Baked potato — $1.50 per serving

Ingredients: Russet potato ($0.83 each), butter ($3.98 for 16 ounces), shredded cheese ($2.98 for eight ounces) and sour cream ($1.16 for eight ounces).

Optional ingredients: Green onion ($0.48 for a bunch) and bacon bits ($1.70 for 2.5 ounces).

To cook: Prick the potato with a fork all over, then cook for five minutes, flip over then microwave for five more minutes. Cut the potato open lengthwise, season, mash and add toppings of choice. 

8. Burritos — $0.66 per serving

Ingredients: Flour tortillas ($1.98 for 20), refried beans ($1 for 16 ounces) and shredded cheese ($2.22 for eight ounces). 

Optional ingredients: Instant rice ($2.44 for about eight servings) and pico de gallo ($3.18 for 10 ounces).

To cook: Assemble burritos with your preferred toppings and heat in the microwave until the cheese is melted around 30 to 40 seconds. 

9. Nachos — $0.43 per serving

Ingredients: Tortilla chips ($1.98 for 13 ounces) and shredded cheese ($2.22 for eight ounces). 

Optional ingredients: Jalapeños ($1.73 for 15.5 ounces), pico de gallo ($3.18 for 10 ounces) and refried beans ($1 for 16 ounces).

To cook: Assemble nachos and heat until cheese is melted around 45 seconds. 

10. Chicken salad — $1.80 per serving

Ingredients: Premade chicken salad ($5.94 for 12 ounces) and crackers ($2.62 for 13.7 ounces). 

To eat: Dip crackers in chicken salad and enjoy.

Read more Spare Change: here