UTSA baseball fails to claim title in C-USA Tournament

Is the 2023 campaign a failure?

Haley Aguayo, Staff Writer

While students left the spring semester behind to move on to summer activities last month, UTSA’s baseball team continued its season in hopes to claim the Conference USA Championship title in which they lost last season.

After a rigorous season that included a 10-week-long winning streak accompanied by both athletic and academic achievements recognized by C-USA, the two-seeded Roadrunners failed to avenge 2022’s championship loss with a first round exit to Middle Tennessee 5-1. UTSA played Charlotte in an elimination round and lost by nine runs to end the ‘Runners historic season.

With the Roadrunners having played their last game in C-USA, UTSA looks to bounce back in the more competitive American Athletic Conference.

UTSA football is largely recognized as the biggest reason for the universities move to the AAC after their back-to-back conference titles. UTSA’s Director of Athletics, Lisa Campos, has also made it known that higher funding will go towards the football department, the volleyball department and both basketball departments.

This could be due to the baseball team already being heavily staffed, raking in fans to every home game and having a recently updated field or because they have not achieved a title in their ten-year participation in C-USA.

Whatever the reason may be, UTSA is headed into a new and more difficult conference than their previous one where all athletic departments will face new opponents. If the baseball team hopes to bring home a title win after their next season then their postseason efforts must change and improve.