Paradise lost due to inaction

Sofia Meija

On Aug. 8, 2023, tragedy struck Maui, Hawaii, as one of the most devastating wildfires in the country ignited across the archipelago. This catastrophic event forced thousands to evacuate, caused multiple casualties and destroyed various communities. Hawaii Governor Josh Green and the affected people of Maui grapple with the devastating losses as Green describes this unfortunate incident as the “largest natural disaster in Hawaii’s state history.

One of the many affected areas within the island is none other than the historic town of Lahaina. According to CBS, Lahaina has had more than 2,700 structures destroyed by the engulfing flames, leaving a majority of the town burnt to ashes. What was once the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii, Lahaina is home to many historic buildings and monuments, such as the Lahaina Courthouse and the 60-foot banyan tree that has been standing for approximately 150 years. Both have been severely damaged due to the ongoing fire alongside other important buildings and structures. Residents of Lahaina have suffered immensely as their homes and possessions have been lost within the flames. 

Reports state that approximately 115 casualties have been confirmed, while Gov. Green says that 800-1,200 people have been unaccounted for. During these challenging times, search crews continue to look for the unaccounted residents as officials begin to discuss relief and recovery plans. 

Investigations are still underway to determine the leading cause of the wildfire. However, many have speculated that a mixture of the dry August weather, dangerously high winds from Hurricane Dora and faulty electrical work were the leading causes of this devastating disaster. In recent news, reports have shown that 90% of the Lahaina fire has been contained, and the people of Maui can soon start working towards rebuilding their beautiful homes. 

If you would like to contribute and help those affected by the fires, please visit redcross.org or hawaiicommunityfoundation.org.