In case you missed it: Summer 2023 Arts & Life

Calli Recore

While UTSA bid farewell to its ‘Runners for the summer, the City of San Antonio provided entertainment for those who remained in the city. Here is a glimpse at what happened across the Alamo City over the summer, in case you missed it.

Exhibits and shows

“Soy de Tejas: A Statewide Survey of Latinx Art”: Running from February 9 to July 2 at the Centro de Artes gallery, the exhibit examined subjects such as “race, class, gender, migration, displacement, indigeneity, labor” and more, according to Forbes.

Artpace San Antonio is hosting “We Are Quilted Together” by San Antonio artist Angela Guerra Walley from May 4 to September 3.

Centro Cultural Aztlan presented Luis “Chispas” Guerrero’s “Metal to the Pedal” exhibit from June 2 to June 29. Guerrero is a San Antonio artist who has taken the legends of the Mexican-American community and forged them into a high-volume body of work.

From June 2 to June 30, Sala Diaz displayed a “Floating between Chaos and Peace” exhibition by San Antonio artist Alethia Jones. In pieces featured in the exhibition, Jones explores her mental health through painting.

From June 2 to September 3, The Contemporary at Blue Star is showing “Actions for the Earth: Art, Care & Ecology.”

The Texas Watercolor Society’s 74th Annual Exhibit was on display from June 10 to August 11 at the Kelso Art Center of the University of the Incarnate Word.

From June 11 to August 11, The International Encaustic Artists Annual Juried Exhibition: “Wax and Wildflowers” was on display at the San Antonio Art League and Museum. Fifty wax pieces from 38 artists were selected to display.

On June 23, “Opera Under the Stars,” a free concert in collaboration with the Classical Music Institute and the Main Plaza Conservancy, was held. The event ended with “The Saga” light show projected on the San Fernando Cathedral.

The following days, June 24, 26 and 27, OPERA San Antonio, in collaboration with the San Antonio Public Library, presented “Explore Opera For Kids,” a concert series for family-friendly opera.

“The Carver Gallery: Darryl Dunn”: At the Carver Community Cultural Center, a woodworking exhibition by Darryl Dunn featured furniture through reclaimed and salvaged wood. The exhibition opened on July 20 and will be on display through September 1.

Literature

The San Antonio Book Festival hosted the Pride event, “Get Lit: with author John Paul Brammer in conversation with Michael Quintanilla,” at the Scobee Education Center & Planetarium on June 22.

The San Antonio African American Archive and Museum offered Story Time in the Park for kids from July 4 to August 1 at Hemisfair.

Film

The Mexican American Civil Rights Institute offered a dive-in screening of a trio of indie shorts at Elmendorf Lake Park Pool on July 8.

From July 14 to August 11, the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts hosted its “H-E-B Cinema on Will’s Plaza” featuring family-friendly movies.

The San Antonio African American Archive and Museum is presenting its “Black History Film Series: Freedom Riders” on July 26 at the Magik Theatre.

Activities and events

William Shakespeare’s “Measure for Measure” produced by The Classic Theatre of San Antonio ran on May 11, May 12, May 13 and May 28 at the Radius Center. 

The City of San Antonio’s Office of Historic Preservation invited the community to face off at the “Amazing Preservation Race.” The yearly scavenger hunt event showcases historic San Antonio. This year’s event took place on May 12 at Legacy Park.

The sixth annual “Pop Madness” convention was held on May 13 at the Central Library. The convention featured a K-Pop Pop-up, a Pokémon Arena, anime, crafts, games, authors, artists and a cosplay contest.

At 7:30 p.m. every Thursday in June and July, Texas Public Radio, in partnership with the Department of Arts & Culture, hosted “Summer Night City Live Music Series at Legacy Park.”

On June 17 and July 22, SAY Sí offered “Summer Saturday Studio Sessions” for all ages.

The City of San Antonio’s World Heritage Office hosted a Farmers & Artisans Market which kicked off with a free workout class on July 15 and August 19 at Mission Marquee Plaza.