Vive tu cultura

Top 5 local events to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
Dustin Vickers

Sept. 15 kicks off the start of Hispanic Heritage Month, a nationwide celebration that properly recognizes and honors the contributions of Hispanics and Latin Americans. With San Antonio having such a deep history rooted in Hispanic culture, this holiday is proudly commemorated throughout the city with countless fun and exciting events. This year, you can join in the celebration while also embracing Hispanic culture as we list some exciting events around San Antonio and UTSA that you can participate in.

• Calle UTSA

Starting off, we have the Calle UTSA event, UTSA’s very own Hispanic-centered street fair. This event is scheduled to take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sept. 20 at the Student Union Paseo. There will be countless activities, performances, food and music for everyone to enjoy. This event is open to all UTSA students, faculty and staff, free of charge. If you are available this upcoming Wednesday, make sure to RSVP through RowdyLink and stop by UTSA’s street fair and experience a taste of the Hispanic culture that the university has to offer.

• Outdoor Family Film Series: Selena

From 7 to 10 p.m. on Sept. 21, join friends and family at the Mission Marquee Plaza for an unforgettable outdoor screening of the film “Selena.” This free, family and pet-friendly event includes entertainment and on-site food trucks and snack vendors. All visitors are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs, blankets and snacks that they may enjoy while watching the film. Since Selena Quintanilla paved the way for Tejano music and was a huge part of Latin culture, this event is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday. With free admission and on-site parking, you will not want to miss out.

• La Casita del Barrio 1K/5K Run

Up next, we have the La Casita del Barrio 1K/5K, an event that strives to bring awareness to the growing necessities of San Antonio’s Westside community while also embracing the city’s Hispanic heritage. This event is set to take place at 8 a.m. on Sept. 23 at Our Lady of The Lake University. There is a $40 entry fee for the 5K event and the senior 1K walk. Early packet pick-up is from 4 to 7 p.m. on Sept. 22 at the Alamo Beer Company, while the regular pick-up schedule is set on the morning of the race, starting at 7 a.m. This event is perfect for anyone who has a love for running and wants to support San Antonio’s Hispanic communities. If interested, feel free to register or get more information at the athleteguilde.com.

• UTSA Orchestra – Rapsodia Mexicana

From 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 27, the UTSA Orchestra will perform a captivating Mexican music concert at the UTSA Recital Hall called Rapsodia Mexicana. They will be joined by Colin Campbell, a Texas A&M International University organist and UTSA’s Mariachi band, Los Paisanos. Not only will this event be filled with pieces done by Mexican composers, but it will also signify a celebration of Texas’s proud Latin origins. Do not miss your chance to witness the magical experience of live Mexican music as the UTSA orchestra brings the spirit of Hispanic culture through their passionate performance.

• Spanish Club Gathering: Pintemos nuestra historia

Lastly, join UTSA’s Spanish club from 2 to 3 p.m. on Oct. 4 in the Student Union room 2.02.12 on Main Campus and participate in countless games, watch videos and other language and culture-related activities. This event will allow students to practice their Spanish in a friendly and engaging environment while also learning about Hispanic cultures in a fun way. Make sure to reserve a spot for yourself through RowdyLink and meet the friendly faces of UTSA’s Spanish club during this cultural celebration.

For more information, visit the utsa.edu page for a more detailed list of events and to see how you can show off your Hispanic pride during this Hispanic Heritage Month.