5 San Antonio hiking highlights

Laynie Clark

It is no secret that San Antonio is one of the best hiking-friendly cities in Texas. According to a LawnMaker study, San Antonio ranked as the third-best city in Texas to hike, but where are these hiking gems? As the summer months come to a close and fall peaks over the horizon, now is the best time to get outdoors to see what San Antonio has to offer. 

Devil’s Den – 3215 Northwestern Drive

Located in Leon Creek, Devil’s Den offers a creepy but captivating outdoor experience. While many locals may associate Devil’s Den with satan worshippers and partying, this land has been repurposed as an eerie outdoor hiking and biking hotspot. Gone is the trash, replaced with trails leading to exciting views for everyone’s pleasure. 

Government Canyon – 12861 Galm Rd

From sunrise to sundown, Government Canyon is the best place to spend your day exploring the outdoors. With trails leading to an old windmill, a historic house and dinosaur tracks, there is no room for boredom while walking along the designated routes. In search of these abandoned figures, it is inevitable to run into some breathtaking views and beautiful scenery. 

OP Schnabel – 9606 Bandera Rd

Looking for something plain and simple? OP Schnabel, while lacking exciting views, offers endless trails made for a peaceful outdoor walk. Though the trails are simple, they are not short. Coming in at 8.22 miles, this park is perfect for getting those steps in without breaking an ankle on rough terrain.

Friedrich Wilderness – 21395 Milsa Dr

To continue with the longer hikes, Friedrich provides visitors with 10 miles worth of paved and unpaved paths. Ranging in difficulty, the trails here offer a good sweat while being surrounded by stunning sights and occasional seating areas ideal for water breaks. 

Phil Hardberger Park – 1021 Voelcker Lane #4 

Phil Hardberger Park is a must-visit in San Antonio, as it is much more than a place for hiking and biking. From playgrounds, basketball courts and dog parks, it is clear that this park has something for everyone. Lined with park benches, the hiking trails are accessible to those who need frequent breaks in the shade. 

Although it is technically time to transition to fall, Texas is still undergoing a massive heat wave. With that being said, it is important to stay safe and hydrated when conquering these trails. It is recommended to go early in the morning to beat the heat and avoid dehydration, but still, be sure to bring a backpack equipped with water and snacks. Good luck and happy hiking.