Navigating DegreeWorks

UTSA offers many established and helpful resources to create an enjoyable and worry-free college experience for students. One of the many websites that all UTSA students should regularly use is DegreeWorks, a program that allows individuals to view all their required courses, cumulative GPA and other generalized information. Although it is a very reliable and significant resource to be familiar with, it can be challenging to navigate, even for students who have used the site before. 

Worksheet page 

The first page that students will be directed to when logging onto their DegreeWorks profile is the ‘Worksheet’ page. This page is likely the one that students will consistently use, as it has a lot of viable and valuable information. 

The top of the page includes general information about the student, such as their banner ID, full name, degree program, level, classification, major, minor and concentration. This section also displays the program the student is in, the college they are enrolled in, the student catalog, their academic standing and information on the student’s academic advisor. 

Below that, there are more details that let you see the student’s degree progress, as it displays the requirements and credits fulfilled by the student alongside their current grade point average (GPA). This section of the website has a neat tool under the ‘What-if’ tab that allows students to make changes to the program and area of study. The what-if tool is a way for individuals who are unsure of their current degree to visualize courses they might have to take or the percentage of their credits and requirements fulfilled if they were to change majors or add a minor or concentration.

Further down the page, students are given various sections that display the courses they will need to complete their desired degree. The different areas include courses required for the student’s specified degree, core curriculum requirements, courses in their selected major, any concentration requirements, upper-level courses, foreign language requirements, free electives and required courses for a minor

Each area gives a detailed description of the courses needed to satisfy the necessary credits to graduate with a specific degree. Each area also offers various classes to choose from to complete specific sections of one’s degree. Once they have completed these courses or are in the process of taking them, the website provides students with the name of the course, title, grade, credit received and the term it was completed. 

At the bottom of the worksheets page, there is also a legend provided to help students recognize symbols seen throughout the webpage. These symbols inform students when classes are completed, in progress, a prerequisite, a repeated course, not complete, unmet conditions or any course number. 

Plans page

The second page that students are introduced to is the ‘Plans’ page. This tab allows students to create detailed class schedules during their four years at the university, aiding students in creating a concrete and set schedule for the following semesters. This mode also allows them to see what courses they can take in specific semesters and how many. The plans page is a great way for a student to organize and visualize their educational journey. 

Links page

The last tab that is included within the DegreeWorks website is the ‘Links’ tab. This tab allows students to be redirected to their MyUTSA account or to the UTSA One-Stop Enrollment page under the Frequently Asked Questions section, where students can get more information on the website and clarify any confusion or questions they may have.

UTSA’s DegreeWorks tool is a significant and beneficial resource that every UTSA student should use. It gives very vital and detailed information as it displays not only the student’s generalized information but also gives a detailed description of the courses and credits required and useful tools. Although it can be a bit confusing and overwhelming at first, it is important for students to familiarize themselves with the site as much as they can as it is favorable for a stress-free and successful university experience.

For more information on how to use DegreeWorks or to log in using your myUTSA ID and passphrase, visit onestop.utsa.edu/registration/degree-planning/degreeworks/.