The internet is here to stay

Storm Goodman

Over time, society has become dependent on the internet. We use it as our map, newspaper, weather report along with so many other essential daily tasks. Having access to the internet is a necessity in order to perform essential daily tasks. It is clear that the internet has shifted from a luxury to a necessity. 

Over the past few decades, the internet has grown tremendously, becoming one of the most convenient things humans have access to. In just a few seconds, you can search anything and get over a million results. According to an article from Open Mind, the internet started as a tool for research centers and universities, but it eventually made its way to the public for everyone to access. 

The internet comes with endless opportunities for both entertainment and professionalism, making it the number one source to get work created by people out there for everyone to see. A vast number of people have produced and launched their careers on the internet, bringing in massive checks. This would not have been possible if the internet did not exist or if it were not easily accessible.

Influencing has become some people’s livelihood, but it does not stop there. Social media has created many opportunities for companies starting small businesses as well. It is so simple to set up meetings or job interviews online, which brings convenience to both consumers and advertisers. Communicating with customers can happen within a few minutes. The internet is full of ways to grow and we would not be able to function today without it. 

Some may argue that the internet is taking away basic life skills like communicating and socializing. This fear mostly stems from children being exposed at such a young age. However, these concerns do not account for all the benefits that the internet brings. There are so many different ways that kids can grow their creative skills, communication abilities and possibly get ahead in their learning due to the programs available to them online. Children are now growing up in a world where technology is everywhere. Parents cannot protect their children from being exposed to the internet even if they tried. However, it is important that kids learn how to use the internet correctly — which, yes, may require parental supervision, but is worth it in the long run.

According to an article from Unicef, online entertainment can help young children develop an interest in educational, informative and social involvements, ultimately cultivating a smarter, stronger and more skillful generation in this tech-savvy world that is here to stay. 

The world wide web is a simple concept. You have a question, you look it up and you receive an answer. One of the biggest ways that we have seen the internet save humans was during the COVID-19 pandemic. Everyone was forced to stay home in order to keep themselves and their families safe. Nonetheless, the internet was by our side. Families were able to work from home, which allowed them to spend more time with their families. Remote working has changed the way people live day-by-day. In this scenario, the internet wins again.

Furthermore, the internet has allowed more tools and resources to be created that allow us to be able to do our jobs anywhere at any time. Especially for college students, research for internships and potential jobs were able to continue remotely during the pandemic.  For example, UTSA has provided registered students with access to the Microsoft Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud suites. This allows us students to work on thousands of projects, essays, emails, run numbers that would otherwise be incomprehensible, create models for buildings and so much more. Every major uses online tools for completing assignments and accomplishing them on time. 

The internet is here to stay and it will only get better and more beneficial from here. We have to learn to grow with it. Yes, we are still human and can think on our own and problem solve along the way, but it is okay to need some guidance every once in a while and we are lucky to have something that has a purpose to do just that.