UTSA works on SB 17 internal review process

University releases website with plans and timeline
Chloe Williams

Senate Bill 17 (SB 17) was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott in June, requiring colleges and universities in Texas to close their diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) offices by Jan. 1, 2024. UTSA is currently in the process of reviewing current DEI-related operations and has been working with UT System since May to finalize its strategy.

Originating in the 88th Texas Legislative session, SB 17 amended Texas Education Code 51.3525 to prohibit DEI offices, duties, training and statements in higher education institutions. Any kind of preference based on sex, race, ethnicity or national origin is prohibited. 

UT System released working guidance regarding SB 17 on Sept. 15, detailing the specific restrictions, requirements and exceptions included in the law. According to the document, SB 17 “specifically states that the bill’s restrictions do not apply to academic course instruction.” 

The prohibitions also do not apply to data collection, scholarly research or creative work, short-term guest speakers and performers, recruitment and admissions processes and all functions of student organizations. Specific definitions for each exception as well as guidelines regarding hiring and training processes can be found at utsa.edu/president/documents/SB-17-UTS-FAQs.pdf

After receiving this guidance in August, UTSA committed to “develop[ing] an engagement strategy to review programs, activities and initiatives that may be impacted” that is “broad and transparent.” In the statement, which was shared with all faculty, staff and students via email on Aug. 28, UTSA stated that “[they] are committed to adhering to [their] core values and supporting academic freedom while creating a strategy that aligns with UT System guidelines.”

In another email sent out in September, UTSA stated that they have “begun a process to collect, screen and review current operations” and provided a website where the university will share its ongoing plans and address frequently asked questions developed by UT System. 

The review process includes an Executive Leadership Review Committee, a Working Group of appointed campus-wide stakeholders and a Program, Activity and Initiative Review (PAIR) team. 

The process also involves consultation with an SB 17 advisory group, featuring representatives from the faculty and staff senates as well as UTSA’s Student Government Association. President Eighmy will make all final determinations based on the recommendations provided in the review process.

The implementation timeline, which spans until SB 17 becomes law on Jan. 1, states that the “internal review process is intended to move swiftly to provide the Roadrunner community with timely guidance” and that “regular communication will be provided throughout the process.”

For more information and future updates regarding UTSA’s internal review process and timeline, visit utsa.edu/president/campusandcommunity/SB17.html. Further questions and feedback can be directed to the PAIR team at [email protected].