K5: NYPD’s newest recruit

Storm Goodman

On Sept. 22, the New York City Police Department unveiled their new robot, which they plan to use to monitor Times Square’s subway station. The robot, also known as K5, will roam the mezzanine level of the station and record video activity of subway goers. 

Some citizens have expressed privacy concerns, but K5 reportedly doesn’t record audio or have facial recognition. K5 can even be used to make calls to the police in an emergency. K5 will also help ease the financial constraints of the city as it only costs $9 an hour to lease — less than the minimum wage in New York. In an effort to convince the public of its efficiency, Mayor Eric Adams said, “No bathroom breaks. No meal breaks.” 

For fans of movies like “RoboCop” or “The Terminator,” hearing that the police are going to be using a robot may seem frightening, but K5 is little more than a crime deterrent. If subway-goers are aware that they are constantly being monitored, then they are less likely to commit crimes. 

The fact that K5 costs less than its human counterpart is beneficial as well. With less money required to pay for another officer to supervise the subway station, the remaining fundscan go towards other much-needed services the city requires, such as programs protecting working New Yorkers and investments to improve quality of life.

While it may seem like science fiction to see a robot roaming the subway station, its only purpose is to keep people safe by preventing crime and helping report offenses to the police faster. This advancement in technology appears to be beneficial to society, but only time will tell.