Has James Harden tarnished his legacy?

With numerous All-Star appearances, All-NBA selections, scoring titles and even a Most Valuable Player award, James Harden is one of the most decorated players in NBA history. As the engine of the Houston Rockets offense from 2012 to 2021, Harden stamped his mark on the NBA record books and took the franchise to heights they had not reached since the 1990s. However, currently on the Philadelphia 76ers, Harden finds himself on the verge of being traded away from his third team in the last three seasons. With his teams consistently underachieving in the playoffs, followed by turmoil with the front offices of organizations, his legacy, which was once thought to be cemented after everything he has accomplished, now hangs in the balance.

Following yet another disappointing postseason exit for the 76ers, which saw Harden come up small in the final two games of a very winnable seven game series against the rival Boston Celtics, a summer of drama ensued between the star and Daryl Morey, the president of basketball operations for the 76ers. Harden would begin the offseason on a scorching note, being the catalyst for the firing of 76ers head coach Doc Rivers. He would then follow this up by demanding a max contract, a request that Harden felt entitled to after taking a pay cut for a season to help the team add depth. After the request was delayed due to Morey and the 76ers experiencing issues with the league’s tampering policies, Harden unsurprisingly accepted his player option and demanded a trade, nearly burning the bridge with him and the organization.

James Harden is a diva unlike any other in the history of the NBA. We have seen numerous players in the past being at odds with organizations, fans and even teammates. From Shaquille O’Neal feuding with Kobe Bryant, to Allen Iverson talking about practice, to even LeBron James holding an entire television program surrounding his “decision” in free agency in 2010. However, no player has ever taken advantage of his power and reputation to the degree Harden has. Demanding trades the moment things are not going perfectly for him, asking to be paid like the player he was in Houston, leaving teammates out to dry and disputes with organizations that provided him with exceptional supporting casts. Harden’s play on the basketball court also does not justify these actions whatsoever. Despite consistently being an all-star and taking care of business in the regular season, Harden has yet to have a post season where he has not underachieved, both statistically and team-wise. 

It is disheartening to witness the decline of such a great player happen so quickly. And while the impact of the last few seasons on his legacy may be subject to debate; one thing is for certain: Harden’s time in the NBA will come to an end if he does not clean up his act and find a home soon.