The last summer – Chapter 4: Lola

Rowdy+Writes
Chloe Williams

The audacity of guys. I could not believe that he could cheat on me and then pretend like he wished I had stayed here for the break. At least now, I can focus more on myself and my future. I could forget about him, maybe even pretend nothing ever happened. Though that feeling would always be there. I’ve always been a grudge-holder.

I’m putting him in the past, officially. I have to, or I am never moving on.

I decided that I was going to go to acting school. Surely it couldn’t be that hard; I just had to make more connections and be more outgoing. If I was going to start anywhere, it would have to be now, especially after what happened with Connor. Everyone would know by next week since gossip in small towns spreads like the plague. I’d have to do something to make myself seem less helpless, and what better way to do that than actually make some friends, or rather, connections?

I put myself out there and made a few relatively good friends. Ivy and Freya became close to me quickly; they were the ones who told me about Connor and Val, after all. They called me Dee instead of Lola like everyone else, and it made me feel extra new. I hated my name, Dolores, though my mother would scold me if I ever complained about it. Ivy wanted to go into writing, but Freya wanted to become a director. Her father was a director, but he worked on Broadway shows for the most part.

A few months had gone by since I had last spoken to Connor on my porch. He tried to message me every few weeks, but I always ignored it. I was doing well; I had new friends and had gotten into the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. It was almost time for our prom. I had never gone to a school dance, mostly because I never really had anyone to go with. This time, I planned to go with Ivy and Freya.

They wanted me to run for prom queen, but I had no interest in a popularity contest, so they took matters into their own hands and created a whole campaign for me. They made posters, t-shirts, pins and cupcakes. Way over the top in my opinion, but whatever.

Eventually, the night comes, and we’re all dressed up — my two best friends and I. We just danced and danced until we couldn’t feel our legs anymore. They had the ballot for king and queen in the corner, and there were only three girls in the running: Valerie, Emma and I. Of course, there was a spot for a write-in, but nobody ever does that.

Finally, it was time for them to make the announcement. Ivy and Freya were so excited, convinced that I was going to win. To my surprise, they called my name, gave me a sash and placed a little plastic crown on my head. Funnily enough, though I claimed to have had no interest, I felt on top of the world. That was until they called Connor’s name for prom king. He wasn’t even on the ballot; he won as a fill-in. Only something so irritating could happen to me.

When he got up on the stage next to me, he just smiled. He looked me dead in the eyes and smiled. I was incredibly annoyed, but I knew he was only trying to provoke me. They gave him his sash and crown, and everyone cheered for us. I just wanted to get off the stage at that point. I’m sure he thought it was so great that this brought us back together and that he was going to say something dumb about us actually getting back together. Over my dead body.

As soon as they continued playing music, I hopped off of the stage and back to my friends, but something tugged on my arm before I got there. Of course, it was Connor.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“Away from you,” I answered.

“But please, Lola, I’ve been trying to make it up to you. You’re everything to me.” I hadn’t even noticed anything he was doing, or even if he was actually trying.

“Well, it’s a shame your actions are as bland as your personality. Goodbye now.” I tried to walk away, and he held my arm tighter.

“Lola, I just need one more chance; I swear I can be better,” he pleaded. Well, look who’s alone now.

“Oh, please, Connor, just leave me alone. I gave up on you a long time ago,” I countered.

“I still need you,” he professed.

“Yeah, well, I don’t.” I pulled away hard this time so he couldn’t hold on. I went back to my friends, and we danced a little more before we left. I could feel him staring at me the entire time. I wish he would just go away and stop bothering me. It was fine though; in a few months, I would be in New York. I would finally be out of this town.