State of the City: Week of 10/31

Chloe Williams

Not subscribed to local news but still want to stay up-to-date on the happenings around town? Look no further. Highlighting notable stories from external San Antonio news sources, State of the City summarizes the most captivating news headlines of the week. This week’s topics range from an upcoming cold front to a shooting at a house party.

Stay warm: upcoming cold fronts in San Antonio 

In the coming weeks, San Antonio will start to see a significant change in the weather. Embrace the cold and bid the heat farewell. The city’s temperature will peak at 92 and hit its lowest point at 51 starting this week. Make sure you are dressed warmly, as it will likely be the coldest 48 hours of the year. As you prepare for the winter, remember to keep an eye out for ways to remain warm in your home or prevent illness.

Argument turned shooting at a house party kills two 

A house party argument this weekend turned into a shooting that left two people dead and three others, including a 13-year-old girl, injured. Gunfire was reported on the West Side Saturday night on the block of Roslyn Avenue, close to Gaynor Street. According to San Antonio police, a partygoer and a neighbor got into a fight before the shooting. The neighbor left the party but then returned with their family. At the house party, a twenty-year-old man appeared in the front yard and began to argue. He then pulled out a revolver and started shooting, injuring a 35-year-old woman, a 40-year-old man and their 13-year-old daughter, according to police.  According to authorities, the man fired back, damaging both the suspect and his relative. Both parents were pronounced dead at the scene, and their daughter was sent to the hospital with non-threatening injuries. The partygoer and his relative were also admitted to the hospital, and the firearms have since been found. Both the victims and the culprit remain unidentified.

Woman shot by NISD police at Farris Athletic Complex 

Just before the 2 p.m. football match between Sotomayor and O’Connor on Saturday at the Farris Athletic Complex, a woman’s behavior caught the attention of Northside Independent School District (NISD) officers. According to NISD Assistant Superintendent of Communications Barry Perez, she displayed aggression inside her vehicle while parked outside the stadium. While trying to calm her down, an officer shot her arm. She was rushed to the hospital, but no significant injuries were found. The accused officer has been placed under administrative duty pending an ongoing investigation.