100 gecs for your Grammy consideration

Jenna Taylor

On Oct. 4, eccentric duo 100 gecs announced their sophomore album “10,000 gecs” had been submitted for Grammy consideration under “Best Alternative Album” and their self-submission for “Best New Artist.” Soon after, promotional videos were posted to their Instagram, prompting many to ask: should it be more common for unconventional artists to be considered for the Grammy awards?

Dylan Brady and Laura Les formed 100 gecs in 2015 and released their first album “1000 gecs” in 2019. In 2020, users on TikTok flocked to use the duo’s songs like “money machine” and “hand crushed by a mallet.” Thousands of videos were uploaded with extreme saturation filters and bright, neon colors adorning users’ clothes. While loved by some, others made their own response videos questioning how it was even considered music. Fast forward to 2023, “10,000 Gecs” amplifies the duo’s sound, incorporating genres like ska punk and nu-metal, staying true to the explosive, experimental identity that Les and Brady have made for themselves. With songs like “Frog on the Floor” and “I Got My Tooth Removed,” it is interesting to see more obscure artists get recognition amongst those considered more mainstream, like Taylor Swift or Harry Styles.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by 100 gecs (@100gecs)

100 gecs have gone on several tours with openers like Alice Longyu-Gao and Machine Girl. They have also participated in large festivals like Coachella, Sick New World and recently joined a special Halloween show at the Hollywood Bowl with fellow artist Sloppy Jane and trio boygenius. The event sold out, filling the California amphitheater with 17,500 fans. 

“We’re not doing this to be ironic,” Les remarked. In an interview with the Guardian, the duo affirmed that most people assume their music is a joke. While their sound may not be for everyone, 100 gecs is a powerful force to be reckoned with; music buff website Pitchfork is already predicting “10,000 gecs” to be in the same pool as artists like boygenius, Caroline Polachek and Lana Del Rey

According to the Recording Academy, the members’ and record companies’ submissions go through the screening process and “the Academy’s voting members… then participate in (1) the nominating process that determines the five finalists in each category; and (2) the final voting process which determines the GRAMMY winners.”

If chosen for nominations, Les will become the ninth transgender woman to make it to this stage. Past trans nominees include Ethel Cain, SOPHIE, Arca and Kim Petras. Petras previously made history this year by being the first openly trans woman to win a Grammy in the Best Pop Duo/Group category. Nominations will be announced at 9:45 a.m. CST this Friday. Viewers can tune in to watch the live stream on live. GRAMMY.com or the Recording Academy’s YouTube channel

Unique artists should be given the recognition they deserve to encourage a more diverse and exciting industry, one that champions innovation and celebrates the extraordinary. In a world that praises trendiness, it would be noteworthy to see artists like Brady and Les receive acclaim from the Recording Academy, reinforcing the notion that creativity knows no bounds in the realm of music.