See you at the cinema in November

Samantha Ysaguirre

When a new month rolls in, it brings a new slate of films with it. A few of these films already have critical acclaim; some are films that fans are itching to see and others are movies  you may not have known about due to a lack of promotion from their actors. Actors are unable to promote their films due to Hollywood studio executives refusing to pay members of SAG-AFTRA fair wages and not providing actors with fair deals for negotiation. So, whether you fall into the aforementioned categories or not, here are some films you can look forward to seeing in theaters in November. 

New Releases

• “Priscilla”: From critically acclaimed director Sofia Coppola, “Priscilla” released on Nov. 3. Told from the perspective of Priscilla Presley, the film follows her as she finds herself caught up in the wild world and fame of her lover, Elvis Presley. “Priscilla” delves into the infamous story of their relationship from an angle audiences have never seen. 
  • “The Holdovers”: This film follows a grumpy professor at a preparatory school who is forced to stay over the holidays to care for the kids with nowhere to go. The professor becomes increasingly frustrated with one of the boys who had to stay at the school, but in true Christmas spirit, the two end up forming an unlikely friendship. This movie hits theaters on Nov. 10. 
  • “The Marvels”: The sequel to the 2018 film “Captain Marvel” releases on Nov. 10. Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan must band together and use their powers to thwart the plan of a Kree revolutionary to wipe out everywhere and everything they call home. Through tense relationships and challenges with using their powers, the three women learn what it means to be a superhero team. 
  • “Next Goal Wins”: From director Taika Waititi, this film releases in theaters on Nov. 17. It details the story of the American Samoa soccer team and their brutal 31-0 loss in 2001. As the World Cup Qualifiers approach, the team hires washed-up coach Thomas Rongen, played by Michael Fassbender, hoping he can bring a miracle to them in this comedic and heartfelt underdog story
  • “The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”: Eight years after the release of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2,” this film, based on the novel of the same name by Suzanne Collins, hits theaters on Nov. 17. The movie follows the story of Coriolanus Snow, played by Tom Blyth, as he begins as a mentor to tributes in The Hunger Games and descends into the antagonist we know as President Snow — due in large part to the rebellious spirit of his mentee Lucy Gray Baird, played by Rachel Zegler. 
  • “Thanksgiving”: “There will be no leftovers” is the slogan of this holiday slasher that releases on Nov. 17. Set in Plymouth, Massachusetts, the birthplace of Thanksgiving, the film follows a mysterious serial killer that grows to prominence after a Black Friday riot ends in a tragedy. 
  • “Wish”: A new Disney Princess enters the scene with the release of this film on Nov. 22. The film follows Asha, who makes a wish so powerful that Star, a limitless ball of energy, must answer. Together, Asha and Star work to defeat King Magnificio in an attempt to save her community and prove that wishing on stars can create wondrous magic. 

Returning to Screens

• “Saving Private Ryan”: This Academy Award-winning film starring Tom Hanks celebrates its 25th anniversary this year. The film takes place during World War II and follows a heroic group of soldiers as they attempt to rescue a private who has been taken behind enemy lines. “Saving Private Ryan” returns to theaters only on Nov. 19 and 20.
  • “Scarface”: This cult classic returns to theaters for two days only on November 12 and 15. Starring Al Pachino, the film follows his character, Tony Montana, as he arrives in Miami, Florida. Upon his arrival, Montana gets wrapped up in a world of wealth, power and passion that grants him a new alias, Scarface. Celebrate the 40th anniversary of this iconic film by heading out to see it on the big screen.

To find theater locations and showtimes for these films, check out Fandango or a local theater’s website. If any of the movies above interest you then I hope to see you at the cinema.