‘Día De Muertos’: The legacy of love and embracing the afterlife

The annual celebration of San Antonio’s ‘Día De Muertos’

On Nov. 2nd, San Antonio’s “Día De Muertos,” celebration took place at the Historic Pearl, located downtown. The community of San Antonio gathered for a night of remembrance and festive celebration to honor those who have passed. The Pearl displayed multiple altars for community use and encouraged attendees to write notes, bring sentimental objects and place pictures of their loved ones. 

They also provided a series of activities including face painting, bread sampling, vendors, live music performances, art installations, costume competitions and children’s activities.

One attendee, Tess Sarosdy, shared that her favorite part of this celebration was, “The happiness and joy that surrounds this event and [her] culture.” She also said that she enjoys living in San Antonio because “It’s a place that comes together to celebrate all types of diversity, especially Mexican Heritage.” Celebrating this event “allowed [her] to share stories with others: relatives, children and even tourists who were visiting from Montana.”

Her daughter, Chloe, said her favorite part of this celebration was the “warmth” that filled the space. “There [are] people dancing, people embracing, people exchanging conversations, people singing. There’s just so much warmth that surrounds the occasion.”

Glenda and Mercedes, another mother and daughter duo, spent the majority of their time at the writing station, where they wrote letters to their loved ones and pinned them on the remembrance posts. When asked what her favorite part of the celebration was, Glenda shared that, “seeing the traditions passed on to younger generations” made her happy. “It is important to carry traditions on to younger ones. Families [shape] their children’s future, through the traditions of their past.” Her daughter, Mercedes, shared that she loved the “colors, costumes, vibrance and lively atmosphere” that an event like this creates. This celebration is special to her because “it shines a positive light on the [aspect of] mourning and calls for a celebration instead.” 

An additional highlight of this event was the live band, Los Nahuatlatos, a group of five who bring their “Mexican-inspired Music to any movement.” The band was instrumentally talented, and their musicality contributed to the energetic sound they produced as a whole. The members of Los Nahuatlatos were incredibly upbeat and interactive with the audience and kept the crowd captivated until the celebration came to a close. 

With the help and participation of the community, the celebration was a spirited success. This tradition is celebrated worldwide, but no one comes together quite like San Antonio. When the altars glow around 210, we cherish the opportunity to keep the memories alive, as we celebrate Día De Muertos: the birthday of eternity.