UTSA ranks among the top schools in the nation for Hispanic students

Chloe Williams

UTSA was recognized last month as one of the top schools in the U.S. for Hispanic and Latino-identifying students. According to the Top 100 Colleges and Universities List in the Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine, UTSA has upheld high rankings within its categories, sustaining its credibility as a Hispanic Serving Institute (HSI). 

Looking at the data gathered by Hispanic Outlook, one can identify the many accomplishments that UTSA has achieved in helping their Hispanic scholars and acknowledge their title as one of the top schools in the nation for Hispanic students.

In the 2021–22 academic year, UTSA was ranked ninth by Hispanic Outlook for total bachelor’s degrees granted to Latino graduates. A total of 3,340 degrees were awarded to Hispanic students at the university, representing 58% of all bachelor’s degrees awarded that year. 

In addition, UTSA granted 626 master’s degrees, and 48% of all master’s degrees awarded that year were to Hispanic students. This categorized the university in 17th place for total master’s degrees earned by Hispanic scholars. 

Lastly, UTSA has also been recognized as one of the top ten institutions to award the highest number of degrees to Hispanic students in Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services, Architecture and Related Services, Natural Resources and Conservation, History and Engineering.

As the university continues to take further steps towards becoming a model Hispanic-thriving institution where Latino students can succeed and flourish, there are other instances where the university is recognized for the accomplishments surrounding their scholars. 

UTSA has been designated as an HSI since 1994, making it one of the earliest universities to be recognized for having an undergraduate enrollment that is 25% Hispanic. As of Fall 2023, the university has even identified 59% of UTSA constituents as Hispanic or Latino. 

With targeted enrollment campaigns and success in creating purposeful policies, practices and support systems, UTSA has seen a 13% increase in newly admitted Hispanic students within the past five years and has even been recertified with the Seal of Excelencia by Excelencia in Education this past September.

As the university upholds its title as an HSI, UTSA continues to make contributions in support of its Hispanic-identifying students. To learn more about UTSA’s new ranking as one of the top schools in the nation for Hispanic students and their achievements in making the university a Hispanic-welcoming institution, visit utsa.edu/today and stay updated on current news surrounding UTSA.