University acknowledged for commitment to diversity

Chloe Williams

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) has named UTSA a Fulbright’s Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) Leader. UTSA is one of 46 institutions nationwide that were recognized. 

The ECA created the designation of Fulbright HSI Leaders in 2021 to acknowledge the strong partnership between the Fulbright Program and HSIs. UTSA was first recognized in 2022. 

“As a leading HSI, UTSA is deeply committed to fostering global exchange and providing opportunities for international experiences to our students and faculty,” said Lisa Montoya, UTSA vice provost for Global Initiatives and senior international officer.  

“The University of Texas at San Antonio’s designation as a 2023 Fulbright HSI Leader is a testament to [the] institution’s dedication to promoting global engagement and mutual understanding among peoples and nations,” said U.S. Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken in a letter to UTSA President Taylor Eighmy.  

The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 and is the flagship international academic exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. It was founded to increase mutual understanding and support friendly and peaceful relations between people of the United States and other countries. 

The program awards about 9,000 merit-based scholarships in over 160 countries, including the U.S., to accomplished students, scholars, teachers, artists and professionals of all backgrounds and fields. These scholarship recipients are called “Fulbrighters,” and they study, teach, research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to global issues.  

This year, five UTSA students were selected as finalists for the program. These students are Paula Canales, Madeline Morales, Eliesha Perez, Joshua Perez and Axa Soria. This is the largest number of UTSA students chosen to participate in the program since four faculty members were chosen in 2022. 

For more information on the Fulbright HSI Leadership program, visit fulbrightprogram.org.