Independent Student Newspaper for the University of Texas at San Antonio

The Paisano

Independent Student Newspaper for the University of Texas at San Antonio

The Paisano

Independent Student Newspaper for the University of Texas at San Antonio

The Paisano

Failed a class? Here are your options

Mohitha Ravikumar

Obtaining a low final grade, such as a D-, D or D+, or even failing a class, will impact a student’s GPA or academic standing. The severity of this impact depends on the number of classes that the student failed or passed with a low grade. However, there are ways to change the grade on their transcript. If a student finds themselves failing a class, it is important that they understand their options.

Retake the course

If a student fails a class, the most common way to rectify the grade on their transcript is to retake the course. The new grade received by the student will replace the previous grade on their transcript. This is also the case for students who withdraw from a class before the census date for that semester, which can be found on the academic calendar. Withdrawing from a class will result in a “W” on the student’s transcript, which can be replaced with a grade if the student retakes the exact class at the same university in another semester. 

Two policies that students should keep in mind when withdrawing from or retaking a class are the six-drop policy and the three-attempt policy. With the six-drop policy, students are only allowed to drop six courses in their undergraduate college career. With the three-attempt policy, students who retake a class three or more times will be charged additional fees above average tuition.

Dispute the grade

If students wish to dispute their grade, they may file a grievance to the Department Chair. The grievance will be sent to the Dean of the College, then to the Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs and Dean of University College if the student is an undergraduate or to the Dean of the Graduate School if they are a graduate student. Students must file the grievance within 90 calendar days after the end of the semester in which they received the grade. 

After this point, the appeals must be submitted on the Student Academic and Grade Grievance Form within 30 calendar days. It must be noted that the decision of the Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs Dean of University College and the Dean of the Graduate School are final and may sometimes result in a denial of the grievance. 

If students fail a class, they should meet with their academic advisor to review their options. For more information on UTSA’s policies and procedures, visit their webpage. To learn how to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor, see the UTSA advising webpage.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover
About the Contributor
Mohitha Ravikumar
Mohitha Ravikumar, Graphic Artist
Mohitha Ravikumar (she/her) is a sophomore pursuing a Computer Engineering degree at UTSA. Outside Paisano you can find her drawing, painting and creating new artworks.

Comments (0)

The Paisano intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Paisano does not allow anonymous comments, and The Paisano requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All The Paisano Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *