Nvision and UTSA collaborate to give students biomedical experience

Lauro Martinez

Students enrolled in the Orthopedic Medical Device Design (BME 4923) class have the chance to develop a professional relationship with the San Antonio-based technology company Nvision Biomedical Technologies that yields industry-grade medical devices and career opportunities. On their third and most recent visit to Nvision, students tested the design and 3D metal model for an ankle implant on a cadaver. The orthopedic device was a project a semester in the making. 

Orthopedic Medical Device Design provides the challenge of resolving a real-life medical issue with skills and knowledge from the course material. The process of developing a device requires students to learn more about orthopedic anatomy, analyze current solutions, learn the vocabulary necessary to communicate the product to surgeons during the implant process and explain the item. 

At the end of the semester, students can simulate the experience of developing a device, releasing it to the market and using it in medical environments with the aid of Nvision and practicing surgeons. The CEO of Nvision, Brian Kieser, says students’ work is put to the test on cadaver lab day. 

“They demonstrated their device to a surgeon, and the surgeon implanted the device alongside the student team. This is real-world feedback and an exact replication of the actual job of a biomedical engineer designing medical devices,” Kieser stated. 

During the second trip in 2019, students developed a solution for an issue with the joint in the big toe. On that visit, some UTSA students were hired directly by Nvision. Erin England, a UTSA alumni from the graduating class of 2020, was one such example who was hired on a full-time basis after graduation.

“The fact that the students understand the process of launching a medical device, the FDA pre-market notification activities and the design control procedures is a great advantage for them because they will be more prepared than any other graduate that has not been exposed to this process before,” said Analaura Villareal Berain, a UTSA alumn, course instructor and Nvision engineer in 2021. 

Orthopedic Medical Device Design is typically offered in the fall semester. Nvision and UTSA are likely to continue this collaboration for future students.