UTSA captures its first bowl win in second half thrashing of Marshall

Coach Traylor gets drenched with iced coffee in first bowl win

Frisco – UTSA makes history beating the Marshall Thundering Herd, 35-17 in the Scooter’s Coffee Frisco Bowl at Toyota Stadium, capturing the program’s first bowl win. 

Prior to kickoff, UTSA senior quarterback Frank Harris was ruled out with a shoulder injury he suffered against Tulane, ending his prolific collegiate career. Redshirt freshman quarterback Owen McCown made his first career start for the Roadrunners. 

“He wasn’t getting better,” coach Jeff Traylor said. “It was too much of a risk and too much pain for him to practice.”

The ‘Runners struggled mightily on offense in the first quarter. Backed up on their 8-yard line, McCown threw to senior tight end Oscar Cardenas but was tipped, leading to McCown’s first of two interceptions he would throw in the first quarter. 

Marshall made quick work of the interception, setting up Thundering Herd junior running back Ethan Payne for a 1-yard score. 

At the start of the second quarter, Marshall junior running back Rasheen Ali ran a huge 64-yard touchdown putting Marshall up 14-0. 

In the second quarter the ‘Runners offense started to find a rhythm, a 41-yard reception by senior receiver Tykee Ogle-Kellogg set up a quick 3-yard Robert Henry touchdown giving the ‘Runners their first points on the board. Senior receiver Joshua Cephus’s 44-yard touchdown tied the game up at 14-14.

“We stayed locked in,” Cephus said. “We focused on the small details and the big things took care of themselves.” 

In the waning seconds of the first half, Ogle-Kellogg set up another Henry touchdown giving the ‘Runners a 21-17 lead going into halftime.  

Defense had probably its most dominant performance of the year, shutting down the Thundering Herd offense in the second half holding them scoreless and sacking Marshall freshman quarterback Cole Pennington four times in the fourth quarter alone. 

“We just listen to our coaches and doing your job,” senior defensive back Ken Robinson said. “Really what got us the win today.” 

The ‘Runners ended their inaugural season in the American Athletic Conference with a 9-4 overall record and a conference record of 7-1 with their only loss coming to Tulane.