Jordyn Jenkins’ triumphant return

Jenkins’ return, defense and team effort secures decisive victory for UTSA

On a day that marked UTSA star forward Jordyn Jenkins’ long-awaited return from her knee injury this past offseason, the Roadrunners secured a 76-58 victory over the UAB Blazers on Sunday at the Convocation Center. 

Jenkins, stepping back onto the court after months of recovery, demonstrated her value even in limited playing time, scoring 11 points and grabbing six rebounds.

“I felt really good,” Jenkins expressed on her return to the court. “It felt normal going out there and looking at the four people I was joining. I was glad to be out there.”

The match began with UTSA (12-10, 6-5 AAC) facing some initial challenges, managing to score only 13 points on 33% shooting, accompanied by three turnovers in the first quarter. UAB (17-7, 8-4 AAC) took full advantage of these opportunities, scoring 18 points on a more effective 46% shooting.

The Roadrunners quickly adjusted, particularly on the defensive side, stifling UAB’s offense to 3 of 17 shooting in the second quarter. UTSA not only tightened their defense but also intensified their offensive output, outscoring UAB 19-6. The team benefited greatly from the performances of guards Aysia Proctor and Kyra White, who scored seven and six points, respectively, in the frame. The shift in play allowed UTSA to turn a five-point first-quarter deficit into an eight-point lead at halftime.

UTSA continued to build on its offensive momentum. Despite Jenkins scoring just two points in the third during her limited minutes on the floor, her presence also had a noticeable impact on the team’s performance. With Jenkins on the court, her teammates elevated their game, providing timely responses whenever UAB attempted to mount a comeback.

“It’s leadership,” Roadrunners’ coach Karen Aston said about the impact of Jenkins’ presence on the court. “To be able to take the load off our older players, I think that’s probably the most beneficial thing other than the fact that she has an offensive presence.”

The team’s counter to UAB’s offense was also evident in the fourth quarter, where Sidney Love and White added five and six points, respectively, to their totals. Proctor led the team in scoring with 14 points, while White finished with 12 alongside Love’s 11 and six assists.

Proctor, who also added seven rebounds, delivered arguably the best performance among the starters, emerging as a pivotal figure in the game.

“I’ve grown a lot from high school to college,” Proctor said on her growth as a player this season. “I’ve learned so much from my coaches, managers and teammates.”

Throughout the game, UTSA’s ability to adapt and adjust on both ends of the court was evident. Their defense played a critical role in gaining control, limiting UAB to just 30% from the 3-point line and 37% from the field. Offensively, the Roadrunners found their rhythm, shooting 52.8% from the field from the second quarter on, outscoring UAB by 23 points from that point forward.

UTSA will next face Tulsa at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Donald W. Reynolds Center.