A guide to on-campus parking

Malaki Lingg

For years UTSA has been known to be a commuter school, and with a large number of students driving to campus throughout the week, good parking is a necessity. Parking on campus can be confusing for some because there are so many passes, lots and garages that UTSA offers. It is easy to get lost with the information, so follow us as we detail all the must-know information about parking at UTSA.

Main Campus lot parking

Parking is available in multiple lots on the Main Campus — this includes the Barshop Lot, Bauerle Road Lots, the Bosque Lot, Brackenridge Lots, the Business Services Lot, the CAR Lot, the Devine Lot, the Ford Lot, the Health Services Lot and the Intercollegiate Lot. 

Those parking in the lots have a few options for permits, the most popular option being the Commuter Student pass for $182, which allows students to park in all unmarked commuter spaces anytime. This also allows students to park in Employee B spaces from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Sunday. 

Students living at UTSA’s on-campus housing are required to purchase a Housing Resident pass for their vehicle, which permits them to park in all Resident lots — though the University Oaks permit is separate from the other housing passes — and unmarked commuter spaces anytime. The Resident Pass also allows for parking in Employee B spaces from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Sunday. 

Drivers needing to park past sundown can purchase a Twilight pass for $89, which allows them to park in unmarked Commuter Student spaces from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Friday and during the weekend.

Commuters riding motorcycles can purchase a Motorcycle pass for $76, allowing them to park in Motorcycle surface spaces. 

Those needing temporary parking can purchase Commuter and Housing Single-Use Daily Parking passes for $7. 

Parking is free for all drivers in Employee A, Employee B and Unmarked Commuter spaces Monday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and Friday from 4:30 p.m. through 7 a.m. the following Monday.

More parking information is available at utsa.edu/campusservices/parking/permits.html

Garage parking

Parking is available in the Ximenes garage on the west side of the Main Campus, the Baurele garage on the east side or the Tobin Avenue garage on the north side of campus. Drivers parking in the garages will have to pay a $2.50 hourly fee to park, payable at self-service kiosks at all three or at the cashier windows at the Ximenes and Baurele garages. 

Students making use of the hourly rates in the garages can also sign up for FastPass. FastPass allows students to fill an online balance via myParking on the myUTSA webpage.

More information on FastPass is available at utsa.edu/campusservices/parking/fastpass.html

Other than the hourly rate, those parking in the garages can purchase a permit starting at $908 for a resident or student pass and $1108 for a reserved spot pass. All Garage passes sold correspond to only one garage, so if a Ximenes Garage pass is purchased that means students can only park there with said pass. 

Individuals needing to be on campus late can also purchase a night-only garage pass for $283 for each garage.

More information on garage parking is available at utsa.edu/campusservices/parking/garage.html

Downtown campus parking

Parking is available at the Downtown Campus with any valid Main Campus parking permit. The Commuter and Resident passes will allow parking in the unmarked commuter spaces and in Employee B spaces from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Friday and during the weekend.

Commuter spaces are available in lots D1 through D3 directly off I-10, the Cattleman’s Square Lot off Leona St. and West Commerce St., the Durango Lot off the I-35 Exit Ramp and the lot surrounding the Monterey Building. 

Any Garage pass purchased for Main Campus is also valid at the Downtown Campus Garage (DTG). The DTG is located off Pecos-La Trinidad Street, between Buena Vista Street and Cesar Chavez Boulevard. The Garage shares the $2.50 hourly rate with the Main Campus Garages, payment is required via ParkMobile — there is no cashier window.

Aside from the garage and commuter space parking, those commuting to the Downtown Campus can also pay $1119 for a Student Dolorosa pass. The Dolorosa Lot is between South Santa Rosa Ave, West Nueva St., South Laredo St. and Dolorosa. The Dolorosa Lot is where the new building, San Pedro II, is currently being constructed. 

Other info

Students can also register with UTSA to carpool with their parking permit. To carpool one must register between two and four students in your application with your permit number and all eligible vehicle information for each driver. Only one vehicle in the carpool may park on campus at any given time. 

To register to carpool refer to https://www.utsa.edu/campusservices/parking/carpool.html

While passes last an entire academic school year, from the fall through the start of the next fall session, students can have their passes canceled and receive a refund. Parking passes are prorated by month, so every month you wait your prorated refund will shrink accordingly. To discuss your options, visit a garage cashier before the last business day in February. 

Every February UTSA hosts their Parking Permit Design Contest, with submissions being available from Feb. 1 through Feb. 29. The first-place winner will receive a 2024-2025 Garage pass of their choice alongside their design being used for the 2024-2025 pass, the second place winner will receive a $100 FastPass and the third place winner will receive a $50 FastPass.

Rules and details on the Parking Permit Design Contest are available at https://www.utsa.edu/campusservices/events/permit-design.html

More information for parking at all UTSA Campus’ can be found at https://www.utsa.edu/campusservices/