Kyra White’s stellar senior day leads UTSA to commanding win

UTSA triumphs on senior day with victory over FAU
Courtesy of UTSA Athletics

In a critical Sunday afternoon match-up at the Convocation Center, the UTSA women’s basketball team won their sixth consecutive home game in a dominant 76-60 victory over Florida Atlantic University. The game, marked by Senior Day celebrations, saw a standout performance from senior guard Kyra White, who tied her career-high with 23 points, including four rebounds and three assists.

“I’m blessed to be in a position to come out and lead a group of girls to a home win and put us in a better position in the conference,” White said. “Getting a win is the most important thing, but having a good game on senior night is the cherry on top.” 

The contest began on an intense note, with the first quarter showcasing tight competition. UTSA (14-12, 8-7 AAC) was notably strong on defense, limiting FAU (9-17, 4-11) to 13 points on 35% shooting. White set the tone early for UTSA in the opening frame, scoring 10 points in the quarter, including two of her five 3s.

White continued her scoring spree by adding another five points in the second quarter. Freshman guard Aysia Proctor joined in on the scoring, contributing seven of her 16 total points to the team’s efforts. Idara Udo was also a force on the boards, securing six of her 13 total rebounds. However, the spotlight was on the Roadrunners’ defensive performance, holding the Owls to six points on a mere 1 of 10 shooting from the field. This defensive stance facilitated a 17-6 scoring run for UTSA, highlighted by an 11-0 surge that expanded their lead from 20-16 to 31-16, setting a significant lead at the halftime break.

“Our guards were making shots and it loosened everything up,” head coach Karen Aston said on the team’s pivotal 11-0 run. “I thought we made extra passes that got us open shots and [Udo] was really good on the boards.”

Despite UTSA’s offensive momentum, the third quarter presented challenges as the team conceded 10 personal fouls. This allowed the Owls to claw back into the game, scoring 23 points in the quarter — more than they managed in the entire first half — with 11 coming from the free throw line. Despite this, the ‘Runners kept their lead thanks to six-quarter points from Proctor and four from Udo.

Proctor, White, Udo, Kyleigh McGuire and Jordyn Jenkins all put up points in the final quarter. FAU managed to narrow the gap to single digits at one point, signaling a potential comeback. UTSA countered with an 8-0 run that not only halted FAU’s momentum but also brought their lead back up to 17 and ultimately secured the 76-60 victory.

“From the day I stepped foot on campus, I was accepted by my teammates and coaches with open arms,” White said. “Just the growth that not only I’ve had, but the whole program has had in the past two years has been amazing.”

UTSA will next face Memphis at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse.