Folk music is the new pop

Vincent Agquiz

As the years go by, popular music changes: One year the Billboard Hot 100 may have a collection of R&B-inspired club songs, while two years later there could be a shift to acoustic-driven tracks. Tastes change, and music changes — it is the natural progression of things. And while this is true, what is next?

Folk music is the next big thing in pop music. While some may argue that it will be country music — and there is a strong case for it — folk is a more approachable genre for the general public. It will be hard for an artist adapting country music to break past the stereotypes that country faces, but folk does not have that problem. While similar to country, folk can break through the genre barrier into pop music. 

While countless artists are incorporating folk music into their repertoire, there is one artist who is truly in the spotlight: Faye Webster. Starting with her debut album, 2013’s “Run and Tell,” she has been incorporating various aspects of folk music into her own sound, creating an enjoyable, infectious indie-folk experience. Webster’s use of steel guitar, a classic folk instrument, and her soft yet powerful vocals present the listener with an elevating folk experience. Her use of folk influences has pushed her high, securing 7 million monthly listeners on Spotify. 

Another folk-inspired act that has become big is Pinegrove, who describe themselves as “independent rock music and folk with Americana roots.” In 2015, the indie band released their acclaimed album “Everything So Far,” but it would not be until 2023 that it would cement them into pop culture. Starting as a trend on TikTok, people began dancing to their song “Need 2,” entitled the “Pinegrove Shuffle.” For weeks, it became increasingly difficult to spend time online without hearing the highly emotional, indie-folk fusion of Piegrove’s “Need 2” accompanied by the somber two-step-esque dance. While their TikTok hit was an unexpected success, it helped push folk music towards a broader audience.

While aspects of country music are undoubtedly being introduced into pop music, folk music is simply more approachable to the general public. Folk music is the next to fully enter the limelight with major artists breaking through the current genre barrier. Sadly, some people will never get behind the southern twang of country music, and that is okay because folk music is here to stay.