Softball drops I-35 rivalry game by a large margin

Jonathan Porter
Taylor Jensen (player) – catcher and infielder (position)

UTSA softball and  the No.25 Texas State Bobcats faced off for the second time this season on Wednesday. The final score of the match-up was 10-0 with the Bobcats (24-12, 13-5 Sun Belt Conference) defeating the Roadrunners (12-34, 3-18 American Athletic Conference) by the run-rule in the sixth inning. Senior catcher Taylor Jensen recorded the highlight of the game with a successful pickoff attempt at first base. 

“I love it when the catcher can pick somebody off,” coach Vann Stuedeman said. “[The runner on first] was a walk. We threw it in the dirt next and picked her off which helps the mojo so much. We’re definitely getting better [on defense] for sure.”

The ‘Runners were struck out 11 times during the bout and only collected three hits while leaving four runners on base. UTSA showed life in the sixth inning when freshman pinch hitter Brenna Jahn’s single was followed up by an error that landed freshman pinch hitter Kalee Rochinski on first base. The late effort was not enough, though, as the Bobcat’s closer, Madison Azua, forced three strikeouts to seal the victory. 

Texas State got up early in the second inning with a two-run blast and capped off the night by collecting seven runs in the sixth. 

“I think we just need to do a better job of buying into whatever it is we’re asked to do,” Stuedeman said. “I think there was a little bit of doubt [before the game] and that’s tough when we’re trying to compete all together.”

Senior pitcher Jamie Gilbert started the game for the Roadrunners and was given the loss. She went three and a half innings while giving up seven hits and three earned runs with one strikeout. Sophomore pitcher Reagan Smith came in relief for two and one-thirds innings while giving up six hits and seven runs, none of which were earned. 

UTSA will face off next against Florida Atlantic University for a three-game series starting at 5 p.m. Friday at the FAU Softball Stadium.