Another round of political animosity

Vincent Agquiz

Have you enjoyed this election cycle’s political ads? Do Zoomers even watch regular television? That premium service offered by streaming services is a godsend from the crude political programming. Let the bitter, older generations get riled up over shallow words spoken by cheap political figures on TV. 

The sanctity of American politics is the lowest it has ever been — that phrase feels overused and worn out. Any political commentator since the 1968 Democratic Convention has either thought or written that phrase once in their career. The best or worst part, depending on your political leaning, it continues to get worse. 

It has been proven that any Charlemagne with enough capital can run and ascend to any political office they see fit, all the way up to the White House. Many factors can be blamed for this fright.The advent of televised debates, blastful advertisements that criticize any legislation a candidate supports or endless tweets or posts made on social media for fun-sized servings. We as  voters on both sides of the political spectrum are too weak to critically think about the true messages and issues at hand. 

The mainstream media is no longer the bastion of accurate reporting it once was. The inherited biases that consume and control the funnel of information are hazardous to the progression of this nation. There should not be left and right-wing media but selective picking and choosing of far more riveting and relevant to these multi-million think tanks. The word compromise, to find a middle ground, is so far gone from the legislative process that when the word is brought up to the modern politician they convulse into a frenzy and cry like a toddler wanting sole control on the issue. 

The folks in D.C. live in a pretend world, claiming they can solve the problems that this nation faces if you elect them into office. When these individuals assume office and experience the riches that come with power, they begin to fall stagnant. It is hard to imagine that these people have souls and know right from wrong but at the end of the day, they are like you and me, a person. But a political party, they are machines; you can not reason with the perceptions of the blue donkey or red elephant. Disobey the machine, and the official is churned out and replaced with a more stable individual. 

We are at the dawn of the Semiquincentennial of the founding of the United States, but still, this place and the geriatric figureheads believe that books written by Horatio Alger could be applied to the current state. Once a place for innovation, America has degraded into a wasteland that holds onto ideas well past their useful shelf life. The two-party system, for example, is a relic from an age before this country even crossed the Mississippi River. But the corrupted notion of “If you vote for a third party, you’re just wasting a vote, you have to choose between the lesser of the two evils” has remained the supreme law of the land. 

Do not fret about this otherwise derelict timeline, the race is long and far from over. The time and place will come to assert our free will onto our nation. The old regime will try until their dying breath to grind us until we are malleable dust. The ace in our pocket is time, we have something they cannot purchase. Remain seekers, do not let the vision be clouded and convoluted, and pounce when the day comes.