16-year-old dead after breaking into car at The Reserve

Lauro Martinez

A 16-year-old has died after being shot at The Reserve student living apartments, a complex near UTSA.

At around 2 a.m. on March 11, a man was inside his apartment at The Reserve when he heard glass shatter from outside. The man went to check on his car when he allegedly spotted a man sitting in his car attempting to steal it. 

SAPD said, “The man pulled out a gun and fired a single shot, hitting the suspected car thief in the side of his chest.” Immediately after the incident, the gunman called and filed a police report. 

The teen died on site and has since been identified as Adam Tino Arroyo. It is unknown if the shooter will face any charge since he was protecting his property, SAPD confirmed.

The Paisano reached out to The Reserve Management, but they failed to respond. 

As for residents, two were passionate enough to comment on the situation, stating that they felt left in the dark by management. 

“The unfortunate incident that occurred at the apartment complex I reside at was not something I was informed about until hearing from my roommate,” The Reserve resident Kat said, who lives near the accident’s location. “Management did not reach out to their residents on what was being done to prevent something like that from happening again.” 

Since the incident, security guards have been posted outside the automatic gates of The Reserve. When attempting to enter the building, resident or not, the security guards ask for the full name and unit number.

“The use of police/security near the complex gate has shown regulations to increase [the] safety of the residents but an email regarding the entire issue should have been made,” Kat stated. 

Luisa, another resident who lives near the crime scene, reported similar feelings regarding management’s communication, or the lack thereof. 

“The incident has raised concerns among the residents about the complex’s safety and security,” Luisa said. “I was not previously informed of the situation and was only made aware of it through communication with my cousin, who saw it on the news the next day.”

“It would have been greatly appreciated if we had received a prompt notification either through email or phone call regarding the current situation,” Luisa continued. “Such information would have allowed us to exercise more caution and prioritize our safety. It is imperative that the management takes prompt action to ensure the safety of residents and their property.”

The investigation is ongoing; more details will be reported on as released.

View Comments (5)