Valero Texas Open tees off with high hopes

Haley Aguayo

Ahead of the Valero Texas Open, some players seemed enthusiastic to revisit a course they have played before and get some practice in before the Masters next week while others proved to be ambitious to succeed this weekend in hope to score a green invitation to Augusta. 

With nerves running high one can hope to expect a great turnout for the Valero Texas Open. Golfers who have yet to be invited to Augusta next week will try to secure this tournament ahead of the Masters. Winners of tournaments who have not previously qualified by other means, including world rankings or previous major performances, are usually invited to the Masters. However, a win at the Valero Texas Open may be crucial for players who have yet to secure a berth in the Masters field. Golfers will be under intense pressure to give it their all and take advantage of this final-minute chance to secure a coveted position in one of the game’s most renowned championships.

Several first-time Valero Open players will take the course this year, such as No.11 Matt Fitzpatrick, No.12 Tommy Fleetwood, No.16 Collin Morikawa and No.21 Tom Kim. Some major champions include Jordan Spieth, Zach Johnson and Jimmy Walker who have all previously won the VTO.

Billy Horschel, an American PGA golfer, three first-team honors and the Southeastern Conference Player of the Year in 2007 and 2009, is competing in the VTO once again in hopes to place in the tournament and receive an invite to the Masters. In 2009, he became a professional and finally joined the PGA Tour, where he maintained his previous success and improved upon it. Horschel is well-known in the golf industry because of his skill, perseverance and spirit of competition throughout his professional career.

“It’s nice to always come back to a place you’ve had success,” Horschel said. “When they moved this event to the week before Augusta, I was excited for the tournament.” 

For athletes, going back to a place they are acquainted with and where they have had success can serve as a catalyst, increasing their confidence and competitive spirit. Horschel emphasized the tournament’s strategic value in addition to its personal significance. Players like Horschel can take advantage of an event such as this because it is a great chance to showcase their abilities and build momentum ahead of one of the sport’s most prestigious titles.

“Not being at Bay Hill this year was tough. I played that every year since 2013,” Horschel said. “I’m not in Hilton Head right now, I’m not in Memorial. I haven’t played Genesis a lot but I started playing that again. Hopefully, I can have another good week here, and secure my spot into RBC Hilton Head. I love that event, such a great event, I’ve had success there as well so we’ll see what happens.” 

Just like Horschel, Ludvig Aberg, a Swedish golfer who won both the Jack Nicklaus Award, the Fred Haskins Award and is currently ranked at No.9 in the PGA rankings, expressed his liking for Texas.

“I was just in Lubbock these last couple of days and came down here. It’s nice being back in Texas,” Aberg said. “We will have a lot of family coming down, or not family but friends and close friends and people from Tech. There’s going to be a lot of good people here.” 

Adam Scott is an Australian professional golfer who has won 31 professional events including 13 on the PGA Tour, 11 on the European Tour and was the first Australian to ever win a Masters. These accomplishments solidify Scott’s place as one of the top players in contemporary golf. 

“As much as we all think about next week, I’m here, I want a good result,” Scott said. “I’d like to win a trophy, that’s still what I’m trying to do out here. It’s been a long time since I have lifted a trophy.”

Another amazing player and 2019/2023 winner of the Valero Texas Open tournament is Corey Conners, a Canadian professional golfer who currently plays for the PGA tour. 

“It’s awesome to see many of the top players here in San Antonio this week. It’s a great event, they do an awesome job,” Conners said. “I’m excited to tee it up alongside a number of the top players in the world. I think it’s great for the tournament, Valero. I think those guys will see what a special place this is as well.” 

Conners’ victory at the VTO was a significant milestone in his journey as a professional golfer, reflecting his skill, determination and ability to excel on a demanding stage. His achievement resonated with fans and peers alike, establishing him as a player to watch in future tournaments and solidifying his place among the sport’s rising stars.

Rory McIlroy, a professional golfer from Northern Ireland is currently placed at No.2 in the PGA rankings. This will be McIlroy’s third start at the VTO.

Looking forward to a week like next week, it’s good preparation to get a card in your hand and actually have to step up and make some really committed swings,” McIlroy said. “If I realized anything over the last few years, it’s that I definitely play my best golf in runs, so this is the first of probably a four-week stretch for me. It’s nice to try to play my way into form, especially with next week coming up.”

The Valero Open will take place on April 4-7 at the JW Marriott in San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa.