Gov. Abbott unveils strategy for enforcing SB 17

Armin Suljovic

On Jan. 1, SB 17  went into effect, preventing higher institutions in education from having diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) offices. In addition, it bans institutions from considering race, sex, color and ethnicity during their hiring processes. However, Governor Greg Abbott is beginning to ensure that the few universities that disregard the law are held accountable.

One of the universities affected was the University of Texas at Austin, where officials cut all the programs and scholarships not in compliance with SB 17. As a result, this forced student leaders and faculty to end programs formerly part of the Multicultural Engagement Center. The six UT-sponsored student groups of different ethnicities were involved in the center. 

The University of Houston and Texas A&M have begun to shut down all of their diversity centers, including the employees who worked at the center. Many Texas universities have complied with the rules established, but still students have protested to keep the education of diversity, equity and inclusion from being banned entirely. 

The Daily Texan shared a recent statement from the students of the DEI institutions expressing, “The implementation of DEI offices and practices may be banned within institutes of higher education, but the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion can never be removed from us, the people.” Due to the uproar of the student leaders, Gov. Abbott began to take the initiative in the security of complying with SB 17. 

On March 20, Gov. Abbott declared his implementation at the Texas Policy Summit. During his speech at the Summit, he stated, “We are concerned about the ideology that is being hammered into our kids when they go to our schools and our collegesthey are being indoctrinated.” Senator Brandon Creighton, the author of the bill, invited all public Texas universities to a hearing sometime in May to evaluate those who have failed to follow the bill.

SB 17 is intended to ensure there is no exclusivity within any public or non-public Texas universities. More will be shared following the meeting in May for Texas universities, students and employees.

View Comments (1)