Giving Day to ‘level up’ university programs

Jake Mireles

The fourth annual UTSA Giving Day will be hosted on April 9 and 10 to raise funds for student success initiatives.

Since its original launch in 2021, UTSA Giving Day has raised $1.7 million from 6,268 different donors, 41% of whom are alumni. Giving Day is part of the largest fundraising campaign in university history called Be Bold: A Campaign for Our Future. Be Bold has collected over $380 million from over 46,000 donors.

“I am immensely grateful to our incredible donors, ambassadors and champions who, year after year, make UTSA Giving Day such a huge success,” UTSA President Taylor Eighmy said. “The results of this campaign affirm our community’s commitment to preparing career-ready Roadrunners who go out into the professional workforce to significantly build the economic impact of our city and state while solving grand challenges that change the world.”
“This high level of engagement speaks volumes about the affinity our alumni and donors have for UTSA and their belief in the future of our university,” says UTSA Vice President for Advancement and Alumni Engagement Karl Miller Lugo. “I want to thank the thousands of donors who have supported UTSA Giving Day over the years,” Zachary Nepote, president of UTSA’s Student Government Association said. “Their generosity has supported critical student success and scholarship programs that have helped first-gen students like me and thousands of others.”
People who donate can expect their money to go to many student success initiatives, such as career-readiness programs, experiential learning opportunities, research and discovery efforts and overall support across the entire university.
The Klesse College Ambassador Program is an initiative that has benefitted from UTSA Giving Day. This program “rewards students with stipends to serve as college leaders at university events and/or mentors for high school students and requires 65 hours of community service, has also benefited.”
Another program that has benefitted from Giving Day is UTSA Athletics. With collected donations, UTSA Athletics can grow its Roadrunner Athletic Fund, upgrade medical and weight room equipment, providing diverse workouts, recovery and therapy options.
UTSA Giving Day will last for 1,969 minutes to commemorate the year the university was founded. This year’s campaign will garner a video game theme to help build energy and incorporate a fun competition among supporters as the encouraged gifts would “level up” university programs. 
The progress of UTSA Giving Day will be tracked on its website. This site will include money raised for each participating program and goals to receive gifts from every state in the nation.