San Antonio’s hottest Fiesta spot

A guide to Market Square
Dustin Vickers

As the city begins to kick off its Fiesta celebrations, there is no better place to celebrate than the downtown Historic Market Square. Located on 514 West Commerce Street, the square has served as San Antonio’s hottest free Fiesta spot for decades. Its combination of delicious food, live performances and gem-filled shops make it a melting pot for Mexican life and culture. A haven for those looking to celebrate Fiesta, Market Square has always been renowned for its welcoming energy and incredible atmospheric presence. Though there are countless places to enjoy the colorful and bright holiday, none compare to Historic Market Square. 

Offering free admission to all performances, the square is usually packed with live music. Its four stages in the front, middle and back entrances allow for various genres, including blues, Tejano and classic rock. With almost exclusively Tejano headliners, each band, whether Massore, Cumbia Kings or the Texas Tornadoes always gets the crowd involved and puts on an incredible performance. The variety of Market Square’s live performances makes it an essential spot to celebrate this wonderful holiday. 

Dustin Vickers

Though the music alone is enough to make Market Square the best Fiesta venue in San Antonio, its abundance of food and treats add to its amazing atmosphere. Surrounding the market are four Mexican restaurants and bakeries, each offering various plates, tacos, sweets and mixed drinks. Among the best is Mi Tierra Café y Panadería, which sells both Mexican-influenced food and authentic delicious treats. Famous for its tasty desserts, Mi Tierra specializes in pan dulces, cookies and homemade Mexican candies. It, along with the other restaurants, provides one of the best Mexican dining experiences San Antonio has to offer. 

The Historic Market Square would not be the incredible venue it is today without its plethora of gem-filled shops. Located all along the market’s walkways, each shop provides something new and unique for every customer. Whether it is cowboy hats, Luchador masks, hand-crafted sculptures or small children’s toys, the shopping center has a vast and interesting selection. Store owners are kind and friendly, making the experience memorable and joyful. Even if it is just to pass the time before the next band comes on, customers will have a hard time leaving a shop without making some sort of purchase. 

Preparing to kick off Fiesta De Los Reyes on April 19th, Market Square’s celebration is one you do not want to miss. Their experience of flavorful food, live music and festive atmospheres has made it a staple within the Alamo city. Though it may not be the only place to celebrate Fiesta, it is certainly one of the best.