Escaping reality with indie rock band STRFKR

Lighting up the stage of the Aztec Theatre is Portland-based indie rock band STRFKR. Known for their popular songs, “Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second” and “Kahlil Gibran,” STRFKR is similar to alternative bands like Tame Impala, MGMT and Phoenix. 

Starting strong with the groovy upbeat track “While I’m Alive,” the crowd was electric, dancing and singing along to the music. Each song projects unique psychedelic visuals on an LED screen and rainbow strobe lights flash throughout the stage and theater. 

Next on the setlist was “Together Forever” from their latest album, “Parallel Realms.” Dancing alongside the band were two go-go dancers with large gold cloaks and face masks. 

One clever aspect of the concert was the song placement on the setlist. They would alternate between their most popular songs, such as “Kahlil Gibran,” and in between, play a new song like “Always / Forever” from their latest album. This strategy kept the crowd engaged while also previewing their new discography. 

The crowd erupted into cheers as the familiar guitar riff in “Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second” started to play. The gold dancers were replaced by two pink-haired dancers with bright blue track pants and a gold bomber jacket. Although their dancing consisted of jumping around the stage and singing along to the song, it was a fun energy on stage and in the crowd. 

Towards the end of the song, a confetti cannon released rainbow confetti that blanketed the entire crowd. It was a beautiful interactive performance with the audience. 

Ending the night with an encore of the alternative synth tune “Chizzlers,” STRFKR left the crowd buzzing with excitement and confetti all over the floor. It was a cosmic performance from STRFKR, with an intricate and vibrant light show, catchy alternative rock sounds and an enthusiastic, engaged fanbase. For anyone interested in trying STRFKR’s discography, start with songs like “While I’m Alive,” “Pop Song” and “Always / Never.”

For more information on STRFKR, visit their Instagram, @strfkr_music, or their website, strfkr.com.