SGA closes out the academic year

Illustration courtesy of Student Government Association at UTSA

Following the spring general election, the last student general assembly on April 18 confirmed nominees for next school year’s election commission, committee chair seats, speaker of the senate and deputy speaker positions. Additionally, there was a brief overview of the last events of the semester. 

There were no inquiries during the open forum, and Speaker Ryan Faidley proceeded to new business. SGA has proposed new general assembly rules for itself listed in documents shared with senators “to make meetings more accessible for senators and to serve as a reference so that meetings can’t be manipulated. This will help [SGA] condense business and spend more time serving students.”

The current election commission, composed of Michaela Mgba, Liam Bage and Ana Diaz, was re-nominated and confirmed for the Fall semester. Next, nominees for committee chairs were given an opportunity to speak for themselves before a vote was passed. The assembly decided to vote on all four nominees at once. All were unanimously confirmed: Paul Gonzalez for Academic Affairs, Christine Powell for Business Affairs, Giselle Torres-Villarreal for Student Affairs and Alexis Segovia for Sustainability.

Faidley temporarily filled the position of Speaker of the Senate following the departure of the previous Speaker, Karli Robertson. Through a video submission, Senator Madeleine Snyder made her case for the position. 

“As a PhD student, I have chosen to dedicate over six years of my life to this university, and I care deeply about this community and seeing it become the very best it can for our student body,” she said. Snyder was unanimously confirmed as Speaker of the Senate for the Fall. 

The position of the Deputy Speaker was also made available. Senator Gloria Tran self-nominated herself for the position, citing her active membership in other organizations, a recent showcase during the Public Health Fair Week and her current position as Chair of the Internal Affairs committee as reasons for qualification. 

“I am applying to be the Deputy Speaker of the Senate because I am committed to holding senators responsible for their attendance. I would ensure that our senate’s actions are documented accurately and made accessible to all those who see them.” Tran was unanimously voted in. 

For executive reports, President Nepote remotely thanked the assembly for a “great year.” Nepote will be presenting findings and recommendations related to graduate health insurance and stipends to the board of regents. The assembly closed with reminders of Día en la Sombrilla, Earth Day Fair on April 22, a Scantron giveaway on May 1, the Tech Symposium on May 2 and Study Day on May 3.