The countdown to the Olympics

With 94 days left, athletes are preparing for what could be the biggest day of their lives as they train for the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Between athletes, culture, history, technology and legacy, this year’s much-anticipated event is worth a four-year, or in this case, a three-year wait.

This summer, Paris will officially become the third city to host the Olympics for the third time, though the last time the city of love hosted this event was 100 years ago.

Dating back to 776 BC, the Olympics began in Olympia, Greece as a way for athletes to showcase their strengths for entertainment for large audiences. After a seemingly short stint within a historical timeline, the tradition ended in 393 AD and did not begin again for another 1,503 years. The first of what people know as modern-day Olympics was started up in Athens and lasted a mere 11 days in April of 1896. Since then, athletes and supporters alike have been able to celebrate one of humanity’s longest-reigning traditions.

The Olympics can be an exciting event for all fans and competitors as each new venue brings in new technological innovations along with it, proving that even a long-standing sporting event can usher in a new era as it moves forward into the future.

This year, the U.S. will have more than 500 athletes competing for the country. So far, only 122 people have secured their spot in various sports such as triathlon racing, beach volleyball, fencing, track and field, tennis, taekwondo, etc. There are already 22 categories that have been accounted for and 10 left to compete for. American wrestlers officially secured their spots over the weekend, finishing on April 20.

With so many athletes competing for the U.S. this year, it goes to show what an impact these people can make for generations to come. Each year, new athletes hit the scene as well as the podiums. Swimmer Katie Ledecky broke the most decorated American athlete Michael Phelps’ record last year for most individual world swimming titles, a huge feat for all young swimmers

More importantly, one of the main goals of the Olympics is to promote peace and unity within the world. Athletes can proudly compete for their countries despite facing adversities that pose setbacks to their own countries. It is an event that is meant to be celebrated as viewers watch the strongest of people triumph.