Resignation casts doubt on program’s future

UTSA’s athletic future appears unpromising after Larry Coker’s resignation.
The former national champion’s announcement brought forth sweeping change within the six-year old start-up football program.
Three assistant senior personnel on Coker’s staff have decided to leave the university and pursue other job opportunities in the NCAA — leaving UTSA’s football program with no head coach a month before national signing day.
When asked about UTSA’s future, Athletic Director and Associate Vice President Lynn Hickey said that Coker’s decision was “based on the commitment and caring that he has for the program.”
And, although the former UTSA coach may have been sincere with his statement, Coker’s announcement leaves UTSA in an awkward and stunted situation, just weeks before the biggest recruitment day of the college football offseason.
Despite Coker leading the Roadrunners to an abysmal 3-9 record — and two consecutive losing seasons — the Oklahoman native brought championship pedigree and savvy play calling to San Antonio.
During Coker’s tenure, his teams set unprecedented records for a start-up program — including the highest-attended game for an NCAA Division I FCS start-up program. And, for the first time in program history, the Roadrunners have an NFL Draft worthy talent in tight end David Morgan II.
But, despite the success, Coker’s departure casts doubt over the program’s future and direction.
UTSA’s decision to part ways with the former national champion leaves a gaping hole in the rising football program.
The Roadrunners may have had a losing season — one it can recover from, eventually — but they may not be able to recover and replace Larry Coker.
– See more at: https://www.paisano-online.com/resignation-casts-doubt-on-programs-future/#sthash.PIRhnJyY.dpuf