Roadrunner football fans, relax

Graphic by Amber Chin/The Paisano

Relax. Don’t hit that panic button just yet. After starting the season off losing their first three games, UTSA received outrage and backlash from fans about what was going wrong with team and how it could be solved, but UTSA faithfuls need to accept what the team is trying to do and understand that Head Coach Frank Wilson is working through these problems. Fans need to be fans whether times are good or bad: they must stay loyal to their school and always show support.

The season could not have started out any worse. The Roadrunners got outscored 44-127 in their first three games combined and created more questions than answers. Don’t fret though; the ‘Runners were finally able to get things headed in the right direction last Saturday in their 25-21 win against the Bobcats, which seemed to be a big step in the development of this young team.

This team is full of young talent. The roster is composed of freshmen and sophomores, so it is starting to become very clear that most of the youth is experiencing some growing pains. The youth of this squad could not be more apparent than in the season’s opening game against Arizona State: 24 Roadrunners made their debut on the team and it showed in the blowout loss at the hands of the Sun Devils. However, times are changing, and the rest of the season is starting to shape up in favor of the Roadrunners.

Contending for their first bowl game victory in program history, don’t be surprised if the ‘Runners make a run through their conference foes and find themselves fighting for the conference title. With the combination of other teams in the Conference-USA West Division and the team finally starting to get their groove back, we can expect to be in for a successful year. 

Starting the season off by playing tougher opponents was just a test for this team to help distinguish who can step-up, and become a leader and continue to keep consistency in all three phases of the game. Don’t count out the Roadrunners, but keep in mind that last year’s conference champion, Florida Atlantic University, started out the year 0-3 too.

Since the season is still young and the conference schedule is barely starting, don’t hit that panic button or call it quits on the season just yet — be patient — Wilson is changing this team!