Get Involved: Week of Nov. 1 through Nov. 8

Riley Carroll, Arts & Life Editor

Tuesday, Nov. 1:

Early voting is available from Oct. 24 to Nov. 4 in the H-E-B Student Union (HSU 1.102). Visit @utsaengaged on Instagram for more information.

The Military Affiliated Collaborative is hosting the third annual Jacqueline Smith Foundation Thanksgiving Military Food Drive now through Nov. 17. Two donation boxes will be located at the Vet Lounge and CMAS Office in the John Peace Library (JPL 4.03.04 and JPL 1.01.14). The drive is looking specifically for canned food, boxed goods and non-perishable items. 

UTSA Campus Recreation will be holding an Early Bird Challenger session from 7 to 9 a.m. on Nov. 1 at the Recreation Wellness Center. The challenger “is a circuit[-]like competition that is divided into male, female, and non-binary categories. The event consist[s] of different experiences that must be completed in succession.” For more information on the rules of the event and what the event will consist of, visit RowdyLink.

Have registration questions? Need to meet with a health professions advisor? Stop by the UTSA Health Professions Office during advising hours from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. every Tuesday in the Student Union (SU 2.02.04). Or drop by via Zoom from 9 to 11:30 a.m., 2 to 4:30 p.m. and 5 to 6 p.m. every Wednesday.

UTSA International Services is holding a “Study Abroad Virtual Open Office Hour” from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Nov. 1. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

Alvarez Student Success Center is hosting a “Career Kit Workshop: Interviewing Excellence (Beginner)” from 12 to 1 p.m. on Nov. 1 online. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

Rinconcito de Esperanza is hosting a Día De Los Muertos Celebration from 4 to 11 p.m. on Nov. 1 at 816 S Colorado St.

Wednesday, Nov. 2:

Clay Fusion will be having a meeting at 11 a.m. this Nov. 2 in the ceramics studio. Clay Fusion meetings will be held every other Wednesday. For more information, visit @clayclubutsa on Instagram.

The Westside Community Center is hosting a Día De Los Muertos Altar event from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 2 at 1310 Guadalupe St. UTSA’s Prefreshman Engineering Program will be hosting a table space where you can build an altar based on STEM. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

The Pearl will hold a free Dia de los Muertos event from 5 to 9 p.m. on Nov. 2. “Pearl will honor the traditional Mexican holiday that remembers loved ones who have passed with multiple altars/ofrendas, children[’s] activities, live music, art installations and more.” For more information, check out Visit San Antonios website.

Thursday, Nov. 3:

Join the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) for their general meeting from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Nov. 3 in the Engineering Building (2.04.06). This semester’s other meetings will be held on Nov. 17 and Dec. 1. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

UTSA Fellowship of Christian Athletes is hosting a Dodgeball Tournament from 7 to 8 p.m. on Nov. 3 at the Convocation Center. Pastor P will be a guest preacher. For more information, visit @utsa_fca on Instagram.

Friday, Nov. 4: 

Volunteer with My Sister’s Keeper and the African Student Association from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Whataburger Resource Room

Saturday, Nov. 5:

UTSA Gamma Beta Phi (GBP) will be holding a Fall Panel Discussion at 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 5 in the Main Building Auditorium (0.104). The six featured panelists will include Defense Lawyer Marc Lahood, President Sahil Khoja, Advisor Janelle Kohler, Secretary Andrew Rivera, Military Officer Derek Leggio and Public Relations Officer April Barrios. For more information, visit @utsa.gbp on Instagram. 

Monday, Nov. 7:

UTSA Student Affairs and First-Generation and Transfer Programs “First Gen Family Virtual Social” will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 7 online. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

Tuesday, Nov. 8:

UTSA’s Neuroscience, Developmental and Regenerative Biology Department is hosting “Chew on This: ‘How do we calm the electrical storm that is epilepsy?’ – Chat with Dr. David Jaffe” from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Nov. 8 in the Loeffler Room (BSB 3.03.02). For more information, visit RowdyLink.

The “Nation First-Gen Celebration Day and Kick-Off” event hosted by First-Generation Transfer Student Programs will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 8 at the Central Plaza – Food Tabling 6. For more information, visit RowdyLink.

Join the Pre-Law Association for their final guest speaker of the fall semester from 4 to 5 p.m. on Nov. 8 online. “We’ll be learning about child welfare law, family law, and juvenile law.” For more information, visit RowdyLink.

UTSA Air Force ROTC Detachment 842 is hosting Air Force ROTC GMC Leadership Training which will take place from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 8 at the Recreation Field Complex – South 5 near the Recreation Wellness Center (RWC). “Extra flight drill time for Air Force ROTC GMC Cadets will be conducted for continuation in the ROTC program.” For more information, visit RowdyLink.