UTSA increases cost of on-campus parking permits

Chloe Williams

Parking permits for the 2022-2023 academic year expired on Aug. 31. Students who plan on purchasing an updated parking permit from UTSA Campus Services for 2023-2024 will notice that there has been an increase of about 5.2 percent in permit costs compared to the previous year. 

“We know how important it is to students to keep costs down, and we work hard to control pricing for services like parking,” said Clay Haverland, assistant vice president for Campus Services. “At the same time, parking is self-funded – meaning we do not receive any dollars from tuition or other fees to provide services, pay the debt on the parking facilities, and cover operational costs.” 

According to the university’s official website, the cost of commuter permits has increased by $9, housing permits by $16, downtown permits by $56, twilight permits —which allow overnight parking — by $5 and motorcycle permits by $4.

There are currently 7,040 parking spaces available to students who commute to campus and nearly 2,500 additional spaces dedicated to students who live in on-campus housing. Commuter parking spaces on the Main Campus can be found in Brackenridge Avenue Lots 1-5 and East Campus Lots 1-3, as well as in the Ximenes Avenue Lot, Bauerle Road Lot 1 and the Barshop Boulevard Lot. 

Last year, Campus Services issued a total of 9,552 commuter parking permits. In sharing this figure, however, Haverland emphasized that not all students are on campus simultaneously. “Due to the cyclical nature of class schedules and off-campus student obligations, the demand for on-campus parking varies.”

Additionally, Campus Services reported increased available commuter spaces during peak hours last year — approximately 2,000 at the Main Campus and 1,000 at the Downtown Campus.  “This is significantly more availability than we saw pre-pandemic, and much of this change is likely due to more flexible schedules, including online courses,” said Haverland. 

Campus Services also offers hourly parking options for students who spend less time on campus using the online service ParkMobile. Parking zones for ParkMobile — as well as for each type of parking permit — can be found on UTSA’s interactive map or any parking map, with signs posted in each compatible parking space with instructions. Students who come to campus less often can park in the Bauerle Road, Ximenes Avenue or Tobin Avenue Garages for $2.50 per hour.

Drivers without a parking permit can park in Employee A, Employee B, and unmarked Commuter spaces from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday through Thursday and Fridays from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.. and From 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Fridays from 4:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following Monday. This applies to both the Main and Downtown Campuses.

To best support students with disabilities, UTSA provides more disabled parking spaces than mandated by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Moreover, Campus Services offers Disabled Veterans with a disability rating of 50% or higher any surface parking permit at no cost.

Campus Services would like to remind students that there are a number of ways to commute to and from each of the UTSA campuses — and even around San Antonio — which do not involve purchasing a parking permit. UTSA’s shuttle, The Runner, offers students transportation to and from the heart of campus as well as many parking lots and nearby apartment complexes. More information about The Runner, including its specific routes, can be found at utsa.edu/campusservices/runner/

Additionally, students at UTSA have access to free, unlimited bus services through the VIA U-Pass and free on-demand rides through the VIA Link program. Campus Services also recommends biking or carpooling to campus if it is feasible and encourages students to register their carpool with Campus Services so their group may share one parking permit once approved. UTSA provides bike racks throughout each campus, although bicycle registration is required. More information on UTSA’s transportation options can be found at utsa.edu/transportation

More information on parking permits and parking zones can be found at utsa.edu/campusservices/parking/permits, and students can purchase a parking permit through MyParking.