Do Roadrunners need protection from Chi Alpha?

UTSA investigates allegations of abuse
Kara Lee

At any college campus, student organizations are an integral part of bringing the student body together. They serve as a great resource for new students to find like-minded individuals with common interests. However, across the nation, one student organization has continued to maintain a significant presence despite numerous allegations of abuse prompting investigations.

Chi Alpha, a campus ministry organization with chapters on college campuses nationwide, aims to “reconcile students to Christ, equipping them through Spirit-Filled communities of prayer, worship, fellowship, discipleship and mission to transform the university, the marketplace and the world.”

Despite this seemingly benevolent mission, multiple former members of Chi Alpha have come forward about what they allege is the organization’s toxic environment.

A report compiled by Texas A&M’s student newspaper, The Battalion, found that the Texas A&M chapter of Chi Alpha was associated with Daniel Savala, who was charged with “11 counts of sexual abuse of a minor and pleaded guilty to one” and has been a registered sex offender since 2012. Savala was found to have ties to chapters all across the state, prompting multiple colleges to suspend Chi Alpha from practicing on campus.  

Despite these details coming to light, Chi Alpha continues to prosper at UTSA. The Paisano spoke to two former UTSA Chi Alpha chapter members who claimed the chapter had ties to Savala. In a comment regarding the allegations against Chi Alpha, UTSA told The Paisano that “Savala has no connection with [UTSA’s Chi Alpha chapter].” Additionally, UTSA campus pastor Johnny Hauck was placed on leave pending an ongoing internal investigation. 

Chi Alpha is an organization fraught with allegations of sexual abuse and spiritual manipulation. However, you can still find them tabling on campus and can still sign up for their social events on RowdyLink. This is a severe disservice to the student body; UTSA needs to suspend Chi Alpha from campus and ensure that Roadrunners are not continually exposed to this organization until the university concludes its investigation. 

Students can report any instances of misconduct by Chi Alpha to the Dean of Students at www.utsa.edu/students/dean-of-students/. Equal Opportunity Services and Title IX reporting can be done at www.utsa.edu/eos/title-ix/