See you at the cinema

Samantha Ysaguirre

One of the best activities for anyone looking to spend time in their own company or to simply get out of the house is to catch a movie at their local theater. However, it can be difficult to know what is showing or what you might be interested in. On top of this, Hollywood studio executives are refusing to pay members of the WGA and SAG-AFTRA fair wages. As a result, many films are not receiving the typical promotion from their actors so some upcoming titles may have escaped your notice. To fix that, below are several of September’s new releases, along with older films that are returning to screens.

New releases

• The Equalizer”: The latest installment in the action franchise starring Oscar award-winning actor, Denzel Washington, was released on Sept. 1. This film follows Washington’s character, Robert McCall, as he takes on powerful foes to protect those closest to him. 
  • The Nun II”: The sequel to “The Nun” (2018) released in theaters on Sept. 8. In this film, the demonic spirit Valak, the Nun, is once again a force to be reckoned with.
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3”: The third installment in the “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” franchise hit theaters on Sept. 8. The film follows the Portokalos family as they return to Greece to reunite and mourn the death of Costas “Gus” Portokalos, played by Michael Constantine who passed away in 2021.
  • “Bottoms”: On Sept. 1, this highly anticipated lesbian teen comedy finally made its way to more theaters across the country, including several here in San Antonio. The film follows Josie and PJ, played by Ayo Edebiri and Rachel Sennott, as their questionable motivations lead them to start a fight club. 
  • “A Haunting in Venice”: This film, based on the 1969 novel “Hallowe’en Party” by Agatha Christie, is a sequel to “Death on the Nile” (2022) and “Murder on the Orient Express” (2017), and releases in theaters on Sept. 15. In the movie, despite claiming to be retired, detective Hercule Poirot, played by Kenneth Branagh, is once again tasked with solving a deadly mystery at a séance.
  • “Saw X”: The latest installment in the “Saw” franchise makes its way to theaters on Sept. 29. Despite being the 10th film in the franchise, this movie returns to the original timeline, taking place between “Saw” and “Saw II,” and sees the frightening mastermind Jigsaw torment a new lineup of victims he believes have wronged him. 
  • “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe”: The film adaptation of the acclaimed novel of the same name by Benjamin Alire Sáenz hit theaters on Sept. 8. This coming-of-age romance film follows Aristotle and Dante, played by Max Pelayo and Reese Gonzales, as they become fast friends and learn to navigate the complexities of their sexualities as Mexican-American teens. 

Returning to screens

• The “Dark Knight” Trilogy: In honor of Batman Day on Sept. 16, several theaters nationwide are putting director Christoper Nolan’s acclaimed trilogy back on their screens. “Batman Begins,” “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises” have grown increasingly beloved by comic book fans since their releases over a decade ago, and those same fans, plus wider audiences, should take this opportunity to witness these great films on the big screen. 
  • “Barbie”: The ongoing theatrical run of Greta Gerwig’s popular summer blockbuster will find its way to IMAX screens at the end of the month. Beginning Sept. 21, fans can watch “Barbie” in higher quality on one of the biggest screens possible. So, if you are looking to rewatch or have not gotten the chance to see the movie yet, make sure to check this out. 
  • “Howl’s Moving Castle”: Studio Ghibli fans can look forward to seeing this film in select theaters beginning Sept. 23. Both the English subtitled and dubbed versions will be screened so devoted fans and newcomers to the world of Studio Ghibli can enjoy the film in the original Japanese or in English. 

To find theater locations and showtimes for these films, check out Fandango, or the website of a specific theater. If any of the movies above interest you then I hope to see you at the cinema.